Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10.4 Released

So I was running the unstable fglrx driver(think it was 10.3 or 10.4 prerelease) on Debian. Decided to install the official ATI package instead so removed the old stuff and installed.

It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card. I really don't want to remove and install the fglrx driver through apt again as its a pain. Anyone else notice anything like this? Maybe I remember the old framerate incorrectly so if that sounds normal, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by esheesle View Post
    It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card.
    glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS

Quote Originally Posted by grantek View Post
    glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS
    I was just surprised because I thought the official driver and the fglrx driver were supposedly the exact same.

Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).
    Which repo is this in? I'm still getting 8.660 for karmic.

I did not test karmic (nor intrepid) but my script should use intrepid target on karmic.

http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

Test it if you like, i only tested it on Debian Lenny/Squeeze and Ubuntu Lucid.

So I hadn't used fglrx since several years back on my old Radeon 9800 AIW Pro. So many changes to the installer and the config generator now . And now I have a Radeon HD 2600 XT.

I was able to apply the patch to firegl_public.h for 2.6.33 kernels after symlinking the necessary files per that issue.

After that I was able to make Slackware packages just fine ;-). Backed up Mesa GL and installed the packages. Disabled KMS modesetting in lilo.

I was able to boot up x.org 1.7.0 after changing xorg.conf myself. xrandr 1.2 support works great for setting dual-head support.

2d support working, but 3d support wasn't. Couldn't open fglrx_dri.so (had an old version in the right place). The packager had it in /usr/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so but it should be /usr/lib/dri. After that fixed, running okay so far.

I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
    dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
    execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
    execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
    make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ

@etreus

Use my script or update the packages dir after --extract with

http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglr...ing.git&dl=zip

if you prefer manual way. My script adds kernel .33/.34 support on the fly too. Did not test on karmic however - you can do

Quote Originally Posted by etreus View Post
    I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
    dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
    execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
    execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
    make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ
    ditto...

But I'm not at all surprised. This is AMD after all.
    MSI GT725-074US:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB 7200RPM WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3, 8x Super multi DVD+/-RW, 1680x1050 (17"), 9 cell battery

Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 (current updates) catalyst 9.3
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 (current update) still on shipped catalyst(8.12 I think, MSI packed -- lazy)