Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: 10.4 Released

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    So I was running the unstable fglrx driver(think it was 10.3 or 10.4 prerelease) on Debian. Decided to install the official ATI package instead so removed the old stuff and installed.

    It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card. I really don't want to remove and install the fglrx driver through apt again as its a pain. Anyone else notice anything like this? Maybe I remember the old framerate incorrectly so if that sounds normal, so be it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esheesle View Post
    It appears I'm getting a slower framerate now though with glxgears. I'm getting about 1700fps on an HD 5470 card.
    glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

    If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grantek View Post
    glxgears shouldn't be used as a benchmark, that's the first thing you need to know about linux 3D. Often a faster, more optimised driver will run glxgears slower than a basic one.

    If you're worried about performance, try some games or PTS
    I was just surprised because I thought the official driver and the fglrx driver were supposedly the exact same.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Ubuntu has 8.723.1 but the "final" 10.4 is 8.723, so the driver in lucid is NEWER from the version, but OLDER from the date 8.723.1 (09-04) vs 8.723 (15-04).
    Which repo is this in? I'm still getting 8.660 for karmic.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    I did not test karmic (nor intrepid) but my script should use intrepid target on karmic.

    http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

    Test it if you like, i only tested it on Debian Lenny/Squeeze and Ubuntu Lucid.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    So I hadn't used fglrx since several years back on my old Radeon 9800 AIW Pro. So many changes to the installer and the config generator now . And now I have a Radeon HD 2600 XT.

    I was able to apply the patch to firegl_public.h for 2.6.33 kernels after symlinking the necessary files per that issue.

    After that I was able to make Slackware packages just fine ;-). Backed up Mesa GL and installed the packages. Disabled KMS modesetting in lilo.

    I was able to boot up x.org 1.7.0 after changing xorg.conf myself. xrandr 1.2 support works great for setting dual-head support.

    2d support working, but 3d support wasn't. Couldn't open fglrx_dri.so (had an old version in the right place). The packager had it in /usr/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so but it should be /usr/lib/dri. After that fixed, running okay so far.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

    dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
    dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
    execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
    execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
    make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,622

    Default

    @etreus

    Use my script or update the packages dir after --extract with

    http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglr...ing.git&dl=zip

    if you prefer manual way. My script adds kernel .33/.34 support on the fly too. Did not test on karmic however - you can do

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etreus View Post
    I have an error on package generation for Ubuntu/karmic target, some one have same issues?

    dh_link -pfglrx-amdcccle
    dh_installmime -pfglrx-amdcccle
    execstack -c debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle
    execstack: cannot open "debian/fglrx-amdcccle/usr/lib/bin/amdcccle": No such file or directory
    make: *** [binary-install/fglrx-amdcccle] Error 1
    dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.q3NqxJ
    ditto...

    But I'm not at all surprised. This is AMD after all.
    MSI GT725-074US:
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB DDR2-800, 320GB 7200RPM WDC WD3200BEKT-22F3T0, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3, 8x Super multi DVD+/-RW, 1680x1050 (17"), 9 cell battery

    Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 (current updates) catalyst 9.3
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 (current update) still on shipped catalyst(8.12 I think, MSI packed -- lazy)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •