Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Hit By Major Bug; ISOs Now Being Re-Spun

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,615

    Default

    Looks that this error was fixed 2 weeks ago, well i did not test Kubuntu since then.

    http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...ntu4/changelog

    Its better now, just that libxine1-ffmpeg is not preinstalled and there is no hint that this package is needed. I basically prefer premounted partitions on hd install, but thats a personal choice.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by susikala View Post
    Ubuntu (or Mint) actually serves as a gateway to the Linux world, the way I see it. That's why its role is immensely important. Unless your nose is stuck up your arse you possibly cannot recommend Gentoo to someone coming from the Windows world, or just someone with no prior knowledge of computers. But if you tell them to install Ubuntu or Mint, and they're technologically curious, they might, with time, progress to more self exploration. But it's entirely up to them, unlike some brainfuck distros like Gentoo that (well, when I installed it it was like that...) force you to read their entire user manual before installation.

    I've been through the Gentoo hell once, and the minute I had to wait, and wait, and wait for a frigging Mousepad or some other trivial software I needed at the moment to compile, I ditched it for something a bit more practical.
    The original poster that made the first reference to Gentoo actually was talking about Sabayon Linux, which is a child distribution of Gentoo and the experience with Sabayon Linux is very different than the experience with Gentoo Linux because Sabayon Linux uses binary packages like Ubuntu. It does that by using a custom package manager that runs between Gentoo's package manager and you, allowing it to replace Gentoo's source-based packages with Sabayon's binary packages.

    Anyway, Gentoo is a minimalist OS, so you cannot install it and just expect to use the system without needing to do anything else. You need to install it, use the system and then install the software you want/need via its package manager as you use it. Then after a few weeks, you will likely have found everything you want and you will have a nice list of the software in your /var/lib/portage/world file that will ensure that you never need to go through the same experience again, as the process of installing software after the OS is installed could then be done alongside the OS installation by copying that file to any new Gentoo Linux installation that you do.

    Gentoo Linux users can configure MAKEOPTS in make.conf to have software installations use mulitple threads, install ccache to avoid having to do full compilations when installing new software that has minor changes, use the "--jobs" parameter when installing software/updates to do installations in parallel and configure Gentoo to build binary packages whenever it installs new software so you can upgrade/downgrade quickly.

    I think that your frustration came from the fact that you did not understand Gentoo and had you been willing to spend a little more time to understand it, perhaps by asking people who use it, you would have saved yourself a great deal of frustration and been much happier with the result. Anyway, since you have forsworn Gentoo Linux and likely, all distributions like it, you can likely expect the Microsoft experience in your future, where things will attempt to work with minimal input from you and should it make the wrong choices, you will curse the day you started using computers because the system will resist every attempt on your part to correct its mistakes.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    That's simply because Michael, owner of Phoronix, uses Ubuntu.
    Yes. That's what I think.

    In past, I was thinking about Phoronix as an half-professional Linux portal aimed at Linux reviews. But according to the articles published during last couple of years, I start to consider Phoronix as an personal IT blog. There is nothing wrong about it. But, knowing this affects the way how I treat information published here.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by next9 View Post
    Yes. That's what I think.

    In past, I was thinking about Phoronix as an half-professional Linux portal aimed at Linux reviews. But according to the articles published during last couple of years, I start to consider Phoronix as an personal IT blog. There is nothing wrong about it. But, knowing this affects the way how I treat information published here.
    Michael uses Ubuntu in his benchmarks, simply because Ubuntu is the most popular distro out there. Correct me if I'm wrong Michael.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    The original poster that made the first reference to Gentoo actually was talking about Sabayon Linux, which is a child distribution of Gentoo and the experience with Sabayon Linux is very different than the experience with Gentoo Linux because Sabayon Linux uses binary packages like Ubuntu. It does that by using a custom package manager that runs between Gentoo's package manager and you, allowing it to replace Gentoo's source-based packages with Sabayon's binary packages.

    Anyway, Gentoo is a minimalist OS, so you cannot install it and just expect to use the system without needing to do anything else. You need to install it, use the system and then install the software you want/need via its package manager as you use it. Then after a few weeks, you will likely have found everything you want and you will have a nice list of the software in your /var/lib/portage/world file that will ensure that you never need to go through the same experience again, as the process of installing software after the OS is installed could then be done alongside the OS installation by copying that file to any new Gentoo Linux installation that you do.

    Gentoo Linux users can configure MAKEOPTS in make.conf to have software installations use mulitple threads, install ccache to avoid having to do full compilations when installing new software that has minor changes, use the "--jobs" parameter when installing software/updates to do installations in parallel and configure Gentoo to build binary packages whenever it installs new software so you can upgrade/downgrade quickly.

    I think that your frustration came from the fact that you did not understand Gentoo and had you been willing to spend a little more time to understand it, perhaps by asking people who use it, you would have saved yourself a great deal of frustration and been much happier with the result. Anyway, since you have forsworn Gentoo Linux and likely, all distributions like it, you can likely expect the Microsoft experience in your future, where things will attempt to work with minimal input from you and should it make the wrong choices, you will curse the day you started using computers because the system will resist every attempt on your part to correct its mistakes.
    I probably couldn't say it better

    Few notes:
    1. I do recommend Gentoo for technically advanced people who curious about Linux and people who want to LEARN Linux. They are few.
    2. I do recommend Ubuntu to those tired of Windows maintenance (viruses, cleanups, defrag etc.), but ready to learn.
    3. The rest, I recommend to stay with Windows or buy a Mac
    4. There is one important trick in Gentoo. Use of autofs for portage workdir. combined with the right "j"s (emerge option + make.conf) can make wonders

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,615

    Default

    I recommend Kanotix to those who are disappointed by KDE 4 (or GNOME) and liked KDE 3.5 and those who would like to be able to use fglrx with legacy cards (after 2.6.28 downgrade) and still using many new backports and scripts for multimedia apps... Gentoo is basically a waste of time for many people because optimized compile flags do not create so much faster binaries when you take into account the time you lost to compile em. I prefer to compile things like mplayer, vlc, xmbc because there you often get advantages when you use latest code but use good working versions (aka stable) for the rest.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I recommend Kanotix to those who are disappointed by KDE 4 (or GNOME) and liked KDE 3.5 and those who would like to be able to use fglrx with legacy cards (after 2.6.28 downgrade) and still using many new backports and scripts for multimedia apps... Gentoo is basically a waste of time for many people because optimized compile flags do not create so much faster binaries when you take into account the time you lost to compile em. I prefer to compile things like mplayer, vlc, xmbc because there you often get advantages when you use latest code but use good working versions (aka stable) for the rest.
    it depends om your HW. really i installed Gentoo in 2006 last time.
    Since then, it's only incremental upgrades. Full system rebuild takes ~4 hours with C2Q Q9300 + 8GB RAM. Seriously, I don't see much time difference in installing FF in Gentoo (54 secs) and Debian. On the other hand, I have flexibility and optimization that no binary distro can provide. Actually, i have my own distro tailored to my needs and HW.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,615

    Default

    Firefox depends on xulrunner. The gui does not take that long. It is very unlikely that you can compile more than the frontend in 54s!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •