Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I donate a few coniz to open source radeon driver?

Question Can I donate a few coniz to open source radeon driver?

Hi,

I'd like to support open source radeon driver development with a few coinz. I googled a bit but did not found such possibility.
    Am I a bad googler or such donation to driver development is not possible?

Thanks in advance

I don't think there's a central fund for radeon development. Some developers are paid by AMD, others by their distributions, some work on it in their free time. Now who of those would you want to donate to?

The best donations come in the form of patches and useful bug reports, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    I don't think there's a central fund for radeon development.
    I think it should be
    Some developers are paid by AMD, others by their distributions, some work on it in their free time. Now who of those would you want to donate to?
    I believe the development is coordinated somehow. Those coordinators can decide where to put extra money. E.g. they can make a kind of "prize" for best patch from developers working in their free time. Such approach can encourage more developers to help the radeon driver.

The best donations come in the form of patches and useful bug reports, anyway
    Not everybody is a developer. Not every developer is actually a driver developer

This is good idea. It needs to be done.
    You can count on 25 from me for every ati card I purchase/upgrade.

Im not buying workstation hardware, so I think 30% on original price of card are good, if they can reach you.

It would also be great, you select which priority you want to boost in the driver. Ie powermanagment, 3D perfomance etc, stabilization etc.

Very good idea,uaaquarius !

Who is the coordinator? If X.org, they do accept donations.

i send this problem to brigdman a long time ago..

and no there is no solution...

there is no anti-fglrx fireGL card to buy...

amd get the point that opensource drivers are a good idear..

but amd do not have any mechanism abaut the intention's of opensource customers

amd try this; if you first install ubuntu 10-04 you get a nice basic on opensource driver if you wana more they tell you somthing like this: install FGLRX...

if you need more support on an vga card they tell you buy a FireGL that gives you a special FGLRX support...

LOL!

the best way to support the opensource driver! (yes no fun now)
    is to do not buy a GPU (no fun now) and buy a Opteron6000!
    thats because only the CPU company part of AMD do have a big 40%'Linux' part!
    buy a Opteron6000 says something like this: 40% of all server CPUs going to 'Linux'
    40% of the money going into the linux support-. thats good.

and this GOOD(CPU) side of AMD pay Bridgman and the other OpenSource devs!
    get the Point! not the GPU(bad)side of amd payes the opensource-devs!
    thats because linux (opensource+fglrx)do have 1% market share on the bad(GPU) side of the AMD company... they dont care abaut 1%! they care abaut 40% opteron!

buy a 4 socket g34 tyan mainbaord(onboard matrox gpu) and 4 pices of AMD Opteron 6174

and use software rendering!

this supports the opensource-GPU driver team to the max!

Quote Originally Posted by uaaquarius View Post
    I believe the development is coordinated somehow. Those coordinators can decide where to put extra money. E.g. they can make a kind of "prize" for best patch from developers working in their free time. Such approach can encourage more developers to help the radeon driver.
    If you're fine with donating to X.org instead of strictly to radeon, they could probably use the money to make their summer coding event even bigger and help raise attention to it. Encouraging smart students as coders in the projects is always a good idea.
    Oh, nevermind, they already do it, says another replier.

FYI the GPU side of the business funds open source graphics driver development these days, beginning in Jan 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    FYI the GPU side of the business funds open source graphics driver development these days, beginning in Jan 2009.
    o nice... ;-) now i can go to my bed and sleep well thank you very much.

@bridgman

Basically that sounds cheaper than putting effort in releasing fglrx driver for "legacy" cards, don't you think so?