Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I donate a few coniz to open source radeon driver?

I don't think so. I haven't done detailed costing for a while but last time I looked at the numbers the open source project was more expensive than maintaining legacy drivers would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    I don't think so. I haven't done detailed costing for a while but last time I looked at the numbers the open source project was more expensive than maintaining legacy drivers would have been.
    For now, I'd definitely believe it. Hopefully once the r600g + Evergreen stuff is up + running + stabilized that balance will shift a bit. Long term, I'm hoping that the open-source strategy ends up saving you some money as it will possibly help to convince other hardware vendors to follow suit.

That being said, given that you do code-sharing between windows/fglrx, it might not end up that way, unless you consider that you're doing code/cost sharing via Gallium and state trackers with the other Mesa/Gallium hardware drivers.

To the OP, I'd suggest either donating to X.Org, or possibly offering a bounty on a new feature or bug fix you want done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @bridgman

Basically that sounds cheaper than putting effort in releasing fglrx driver for "legacy" cards, don't you think so?
    you only hurt linux,,, spend more money on open-source drivers are much better than do lagacy support of the FGLRX...

i think its your fear that's your lovely nvidia really goes down by an real good open-source driver!