Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Phenom II X6 1055T or Phenom II X4 965 BE ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    22

    Question Phenom II X6 1055T or Phenom II X4 965 BE ?

    Hi guys,

    I'm still deciding which CPU will be part of my new system.
    Better a 6 cores with 2,8 GHz but Turbo 3.3 GHz (and 6 MB cache) or a 4 cores 3.4 GHz speed each and same amount of cache?
    The latter consumes 125 W and X6 cores 95?

    I feel the X4 is more balanced, but still it'd consume a bit more of power being a little slower.
    On the contrary the X6 has 6 cores (6 cores!) but 2.8 GHz, still with turbo technology (how many 1,2 or more?) at least 1 core would go to 3.3 GHz...

    Please suggest!

    Cheers,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,993

    Default

    I'd take the hexacore. Even in single-threaded stuff it's just about equal to the x4, thanks to the turbo.

    It's also a newer part, so might have some new instructions. Not 100% sure about that though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    22

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I'd take the hexacore. Even in single-threaded stuff it's just about equal to the x4, thanks to the turbo.

    It's also a newer part, so might have some new instructions. Not 100% sure about that though.
    Thanks, this is what I was thinking about.
    Btw, any link to the official spec about this new AMD technology (just to check)?

    Even because I don't think I'll use the X4 at 100% 4 cores a lot, plus, even if I'd use this way I guess that:
    on same MT process
    6x 2.8 > 4x 3.4
    But if we're talking about multi process I fear the cache would do it in favour of the X4...

    Any other comment/suggestion?

    Cheers,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    More raw speed is always good for games, when you use gentoo or compile much then more cores are interesting. That's why Intel will sell a i5-680 soon - 3.60 ghz (+turbo 3.83 ghz). Many games do not need more than 2 cores but scale well with higher frequency.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    More raw speed is always good for games, when you use gentoo or compile much then more cores are interesting. That's why Intel will sell a i5-680 soon - 3.60 ghz (+turbo 3.83 ghz). Many games do not need more than 2 cores but scale well with higher frequency.
    My point is, how many cores out of 6 are able to reach 3.3 GHz?

    Cheers,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    It will use turbo when 50% of the cores are idle. Basically only the 1090T is interesting but too expensive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,993

    Default

    Depends, for a hexa 1090T is still cheap.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    It will use turbo when 50% of the cores are idle. Basically only the 1090T is interesting but too expensive.
    I think your the first person that I have heard refer to the 1090T as to expensive. Performance per dollar, it pretty much wipes the board clean.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,607

    Default

    300 € for the cpu would be at least 50 € too much.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    It will use turbo when 50% of the cores are idle. Basically only the 1090T is interesting but too expensive.
    Sorry don't get, why only 1090T would be interesting and not 1055T?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •