Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Benchmarks Of GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,100

    Default Benchmarks Of GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Performance

    Phoronix: Benchmarks Of GCC 4.5.0 Compiler Performance

    Last week GCC 4.5.0 entered the world with improvements to the experimental C++0x support, Graphite-powered automatic parallelization support, compatibility with new ARM processors, Intel Atom and AMD Orochi optimizations, link-time optimization, and GCC plug-in support. Over the weekend we decided to benchmark this major update to the GNU Compiler Collection to see how its performance compares to that of GCC 4.3 and 4.4.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14808

  2. #2

    Default

    It would be better to build entire system (Gentoo provides great framework for that) with either 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 and THEN test performence of the output code for the whole system built with exact compiler.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
    It would be better to build entire system (Gentoo provides great framework for that) with either 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 and THEN test performence of the output code for the whole system built with exact compiler.
    Actually it would be more interesting to see how the performance of the resulting applications is affected by the new gcc optimizations. The build process itself is something you only do once in a while, but if the programs run faster its worthwhile the extra initial build time.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by screemo View Post
    Actually it would be more interesting to see how the performance of the resulting applications is affected by the new gcc optimizations. The build process itself is something you only do once in a while, but if the programs run faster its worthwhile the extra initial build time.
    I meant to build these Gentoo's and THEN compare applications' performance differences, not the compile time or anything like that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
    I meant to build these Gentoo's and THEN compare applications' performance differences, not the compile time or anything like that.
    Oh sorry, we just meant the same thing then

  6. #6

    Default

    @screemo

    No problem, maybe I wasnt clear enough

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Between GCC releases performance should not improve that greatly on the same command line arguments. Only in earlier releases, GCC did get improvements but as of today the optimizations strategies are well tested and improved. Probably a better test IMHO was between LLVM and GCC 4.5
    In fact all the tests are fully supported by GCC like OpenMP and autovectorization support.
    Wanna see bigger difference to appear a more interesting article?
    Compile with link time optimization s raytracer, or a fortran scientific system. Not that representative for user's software usage?
    But testing three compilers under the same algorithm/parameters, will make mostly to not get big gains. The latest problem is that even they will bring 10% speedup, this will not affect regular Linux user anyway, as a lot of applications are not performance critical, and are written in python or bash, or for server based case, filesystem and IO affect much more than the small speedup that a compiler brings.

  8. #8

    Default

    Good to see C-Ray regression fixed. Oops, but there's a regression BFE now.

  9. #9

    Default

    Oops, but there's a regression in BFE now.
    Sorry, I missed one minute edit window... In bullet physics engine.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Very interesting.
    I'm curious: was "Graphite" enabled in GCC 4.4/4.5?
    (Does Graphite make a difference?)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •