Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD4850+lucid+fglrx = horrible performance

Unhappy HD4850+lucid+fglrx = horrible performance

I think I'm doing something wrong here ...

Today I updated to Ubuntu 10.04. I did a clean install, only migrating my /home which lies on a different partition. I then installed fglrx via Administration --> Hardware Drivers and did an "aticonfig --initial".

Performance is absolutely abysmal, especially in OpenGL-applications. I get around 250fps in glxgears, while the OSS-driver reaches 1600fps. I don't know what numbers I had on Karmic, but fglrx used to outperform the OSS-drivers by a significant amount. Other apps (a small clutter-program i wrote and snes9x) are basically unusable.

I'd use the OSS-driver, unfortunately it's deep frying my card. Using ForceLowPowerMode is not an option, because that means turning off kms which somehow destroys OpenGL completely ...

I'm not using any Visual Effects strangely enough enabling them gives me better performance (around 900fps in glxgears).

I already tried this:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23502
    No use though.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Here's my xorg.0.log
    http://pastebin.com/suMHRSFY

and my xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	Option	    "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    	Option	    "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    	Option	    "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	BusID       "PCI:4:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    	Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Viewport   0 0
    		Depth     24
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

What opengl applications are u talking about? glxgears?

Well, certainly something happened to glxgears, i have to 300 fps too.

Anyway glxgears (or wine) is not the correct way to measure drivers opengl performance.

- glxgears is a simple test, sometype of memory copy function. It is not realistic.

- wine developers own a nvidia hardware and mainly focus, test and develop on this hardware.

Please could you try some *real* linux opengl application and post your numbers, before criticize fglrx, lucid...

Here are some numbers for ati 4350:

9.10 karmic, fglrx 9.10:

- Unigine sanctuary: 10.0 fps, score 428
    - Lightsmark 2008 2.0: 40,7

10.4 lucid, fglrx 10.4:

- Unigine sanctuary: 10.7 fps, score 454
    - Lightsmark 2008 2.0: 38,9 fps

I neither criticized lucid nor glxgears, I merely asked what I was doing wrong.
    I'm aware that glxgears is not a benchmark, it's just that under normal circumstances the open source drivers are slower than fglrx.
    The other OpenGL-applications are, as mentioned, an app that uses the clutter-toolkit, which has become dead slow, and the snes9x-emulator, which is unplayable when using OpenGL (while with karmic + fglrx there was no issue).

A small regression wouldn't have surprised me, but this feels more like there is no direct rendering (according to glxinfo, there is).

Strangely enough, I just tried the lightsmark-test (via PTS), and got 275fps on average.

I really think there is not and opengl problem / regressions. But more tests on other *real* opengl applications should be fine to clearly see this.

I see your point, and maybe there is something wrong with 2d (I got 300 fps on glxgears too), but I completely disagree on "Performance is absolutely abysmal, especially in OpenGL-applications".

Are snes9x and clutter-toolkit opengl applications?? maybe you can try to enable 2d acceleration:

aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE

aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,Direct2DAccel,TRUE

Tried your aticonfig-settings, no use unfortunately, performance is the same but i get screen corruption.

But I think you're right, this might not be related to OpenGL after all. I just tested some videos and mplayer with the opengl-backend is actually running smoother than totem with xvideo.

An observation I made was concerning KMS. The OSS-drivers with kms enabled give me normal performance, with kms disabled the system is basically not usable anymore. I get a similar performance hit with fglrx, which disables kms as well ... Of course I have no idea what to make of this

And as I mentioned, the biggest performance increase I got was by turning Desktop Effects *on*.
    Are there other options for 2d-acceleration I should be aware of?

All is working fine on my pc, wine (the games that work), opengl demos and video with opengl output. Except for glxgears, this 300 fps appears to be symptomatic.

I dont use snes9x and clutter-toolkit, but the bug / regression that is causing glxgears 300 fps should be affecting those applications too.

Have you filled a bug at ubuntu or ati?

Yeah, it's not like overall performance is bad here either. The desktop in general (Firefox, Thunderbird, Inkscape and so on) is smooth. It's just those certain applications that are a lot slower than they should to be. The performance being below that of the oss-drivers is what leads me to believe I misconfigured something ...

As you seem to have somewhat similar experiences, could you check how desktop effects affect your performance? As I said, with effects turned off i get around 250fps in glxgears. With effects turned on (Normal and Extra, there's no difference) i get roughly 1000fps.
    This is what puzzles me the most.

Now I am totally puzzled with this glxgears thing!

ubuntu 10.04 fglrx 10.4 kde effects on
    glxgears 300 frames in 5 seconds

ubuntu 10.04 fglrx 10.4 kde effects off
    glxgears 300 frames in 5 seconds

ubuntu 9.10 fglrx 9.10 kde effects on
    glxgears 150 frames in 5 seconds

ubuntu 9.10 fglrx 9.10 kde effects off
    glxgears 150 frames in 5 seconds

no idea what is happening here, but i remember the last time I used glxgears on karmic the result was something like 5000 frames in 5 seconds or maybe 15000 frames in 5 seconds, I dont remember exactly.

Looks like you are being limited by sync-to-vblank, ie you're running at 30 or 60 frames per second. Check in cccle and see if you have OpenGL vsync turned on.

Nope, it's turned off. Turning it on does limit me to the 300 frames per 5 seconds Jimbo experiences. Performance of the apps i mentioned is the same either way though.

What I don't get is why enabling compiz is actually increasing performance. Is there like a different mode when not using effects that isn't being accelerated (anymore)?