Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 184

Thread: ATI and Linux compatibility

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    No, he's asking whether you have any basis in claiming that OpenGL apps do not work under fglrx.

    If you listed some examples, then it would be a useful piece of information. It would help people make decisions based on their specific requirements. If you mentioned it, you probably know of some examples, and are not simply making it up.

    If you neither know of any examples, nor have experienced this firsthand, then it boils down to FUD.
    Well I consider KDE4's compositor to be OpenGL software for a start and people are reporting issues with it under fglrx. And I also don't intend to spend $500 to for the chance to experience them myself. And with the history that fglrx has had I don't think any reasonable independent person could blame me either.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    Well I consider KDE4's compositor to be OpenGL software for a start and people are reporting issues with it under fglrx. And I also don't intend to spend $500 to for the chance to experience them myself. And with the history that fglrx has had I don't think any reasonable independent person could blame me either.
    Nice!! you are speaking with more data now!

    Well, I use kde 4 since 4.1 , versions 4.1 and 4.2 has really anoying problems. KDE 4.4 is working really fine. Desktop effects too. Have you tried to run fglrx and kde 4.4 ?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    mugginz 0 - fglrx opengl 1

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Nice!! you are speaking with more data now!

    Well, I use kde 4 since 4.1 , versions 4.1 and 4.2 has really anoying problems. KDE 4.4 is working really fine. Desktop effects too. Have you tried to run fglrx and kde 4.4 ?
    Personally no. I've been waiting for 5 months now to buy an ATI 5870 and continue to keep an eye on what people are seeing with their 5000 series cards and fglrx. While my deadline for the card purchase was the Ubuntu 10.04 with 10.4 release, with an intention to buy an nVidia card if fglrx didn't suite my use case, I instead directed some of that money to buy an SSD and again postponed the card purchase.

    Ubuntu 10.04 running on an SSD is pretty epic by the way.

    I'll continue to keep an eye on things from ATI though. Their drivers are rapidly improving and I hope that they'll soon suite me. I'm afraid I still need to run closed drivers myself whether they be nVidia or ATI though.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    mugginz 0 - fglrx opengl 1
    How so? (10 char)

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    I should say that the reported problems were indeed with KDE 4.4

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 running on an SSD is pretty epic by the way.
    A little off topic but I am curious, what is the problem?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Haven't got the info at hand at the moment, but there was another issue when using multiple screens and having the cursor disappear amongst other things when moving it between screens.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    Haven't got the info at hand at the moment, but there was another issue when using multiple screens and having the cursor disappear amongst other things when moving it between screens.
    Nice more data.

    Are you speaking about multiple desktop, xinerama - eyeafinity? well i have poor idea of those things. Maybe I am wrong:

    -xinerama is part of xorg is plenty of bugs and you can have a bad experience on both ati and nvidia

    -eyeaffinity is on ati hardware, so xorg does nothing, if you achive to configure it corectly (which I suspect is difficult) you can have a multiple desktop working fine.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Nice more data.

    Are you speaking about multiple desktop, xinerama - eyeafinity? well i have poor idea of those things. Maybe I am wrong:

    -xinerama is part of xorg is plenty of bugs and you can have a bad experience on both ati and nvidia

    -eyeaffinity is on ati hardware, so xorg does nothing, if you achive to configure it corectly (which I suspect is difficult) you can have a multiple desktop working fine.
    They were reporting the issue with two screens so I'd say it was just "big desktop" mode.

    Xinerama is definitely a last resort for sure and one of the things ATI does better then nVidia (the ability to do more than two screens without Xinerama on a consumer card)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •