Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

yes and how well the full scope of features compare in practice.

Instead trying to use vdr on win you could use xbmc on win via vtp://ip as video input or the xbmc pvr2 variant. That would be much more logical. Instead of vdr you would most likely use dvbviewer or mediaportal on win - but i don't get how you BENCH that? Often the dvb drivers for win are really unstable compared to the linux ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Instead trying to use vdr on win you could use xbmc on win via vtp://ip as video input or the xbmc pvr2 variant. That would be much more logical. Instead of vdr you would most likely use dvbviewer or mediaportal on win - but i don't get how you BENCH that? Often the dvb drivers for win are really unstable compared to the linux ones...

Crashes per day?

Well the Terratec driver for 1200 DVB-C have been really unstable on Win when i tested it. I don't have got other DVB-C cards to try but definitely the Linux driver for this card are way better. Most likely thats the same with other fully supported cards.

I will know very soon which OS works best overall for me.
    I will have 1x single dvb-c tuner (maybe more), 1x dual dvb-t, h57 mobo, core i3-530, essence st, x25-v 40GB ssd, & maybe a gt220.
    To name just a few components... I suspect it will be Linux-based.

with xbmc as frontend you might not even need the nv card when you use patched kernel + libdrm.

Well, many of the DVB cards have hw mpeg2/4 decoding. They could be benched on up to what bitrate each card can take it

No, most cards are budget, not fullfeatured with extra tv output. I think there is only one ff card for h264 with hdmi output. Usually you use codecs which support DXVA2 on win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    with xbmc as frontend you might not even need the nv card when you use patched kernel + libdrm.
    that's the idea, but i wont be surprised if i inevitably want/need the gt220 for extra oomph.

Maybe you should get the hardware first