Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DRI2 Sync & Swap For ATI Finally Comes About

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    GStreamer is a default media engine it Qt. It works in KDE as a Phonon backend, but its implementation seems to be not perfect at this moment. It become more neutral in my opinion, but I prefer other engines.
    No.

KDE has a basic multimedia API called Phonon, and whatever you, or your distro chose is the default backend for Phonon.

In Fedora Xine just happen to be the default. GStreamer often offers better playback while Xine has more diverse playback and VLC is what anybody should use as a standalone multimedia playback app. GStreamer and Xine are a joke...

Xine is crap, Gstreamer I don't know, it works for Ubuntu/Gnome based distributions.

What I know is that many KDE distribution focus on phonon-VLC development now and want to switch to it in the next 6-12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    What I know is that many KDE distribution focus on phonon-VLC development now and want to switch to it in the next 6-12 months.
    Yes and this is what I'm waiting for too. There's also mplayer backend, but I don't know which one is better.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes and this is what I'm waiting for too. There's also mplayer backend, but I don't know which one is better.
    I hear they dropped work on most phonon backend to make phonon-VLC completely kick ass.

If GStreamer and Xine are a joke and VLC is so amazing, both KDE and Gnome should focus on it instead, not just KDE.

I've never had any issue with xinelib (as a backend for KDE apps), I don't know what people are complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I hear they dropped work on most phonon backend to make phonon-VLC completely kick ass.
    And this is what I wanted to hear

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I've never had any issue with xinelib (as a backend for KDE apps), I don't know what people are complaining about.
    I've had endless trouble with it. It was even the main reason I dropped Phonon from my projects and switched to SDL.

Hopefully VLC will not suck. It's very buggy right now but they say they're working on it.

Default Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I've been using xine for years, and I've (relatively) recently started using KMS and Compiz too. And my DVD playback last weekend was flawless.

Bottom line: I have an old 9550 running with Fedora 12 and a composited desktop, and xine is apparently giving me tear-free playback both full-screen and in windowed mode. That's not "crap" in my book.

The Phonon Xine backend is crap, not Xine itself.