Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Those Digging Into Steam On Linux Make More Progress

Quote Originally Posted by GotenXiao View Post
    Not to alarm anyone, but the Steam Linux client is now updating itself.
    This isn't exactly news. If you want to live on the bleeding edge, come and chill within #phoronix on Freenode :-)

In case any of you are wondering, the Steam Mac beta should be public around May 12th.

Who wants to bet that UT3 native linux will be available as soon as steam is released?

UT3 native client was ready years ago, they just decided it wasn't worth the hassle to ... release it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    UT3 native client was ready years ago, they just decided it wasn't worth the hassle to ... release it at all.
    My crystal ball tells me this is foreshadowing

Im exciting sexually ^^

Cmon Steam!

Quote Originally Posted by dextro View Post
    Lol, well that's typical for most companies, they lie in order to hype things. Not saying sometimes mistakes happen but in that case maybe they should inject some "we hope" and "we think" and "maybe".

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Steam does not use "one of the various Linux GUI toolkits". It is done without GTK/Qt, natively for Linux/X11. Serious stuff.

Also if want to see the OpenGL stuff, go buy a Mac and download the leaked stuff or let someone lend you a Beta account.
    Well it's just a browser page basically, which has no need for standard Qt/GTK buttons and menus and whatnot, so the only thing you'll be missing is your window boarders. It would be nice if they integrated it with desktop standards so that at least some of the look of your system them would be mimicked, but I don't mind it looking really different...

Quote Originally Posted by elect View Post
    Im exciting sexually ^^

Cmon Steam!
    I'm pretty sure there's nothing sexual about Steam, but alas, I guess you can make anything sexual if you try hard enough to associate it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Well it's just a browser page basically, which has no need for standard Qt/GTK buttons and menus and whatnot, so the only thing you'll be missing is your window boarders. It would be nice if they integrated it with desktop standards so that at least some of the look of your system them would be mimicked, but I don't mind it looking really different...
    Only about 30% of steam is rendered with the browser (the store, news pane, community) but the rest uses their VGUI toolkit which they're porting with native OpenGL and/or X11.