Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mac v Windows v Ubuntu 10.04 Benchmarks - do you turn off compiz ? Also arch results

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default Mac v Windows v Ubuntu 10.04 Benchmarks - do you turn off compiz ? Also arch results

    Hi.

    There is 1 important thing I would like to know regarding the benchmarks.

    When you run the 3D tests did you disable compiz?

    I ask because on my machine it reduces in game FPS by about 30-40%

    Also, seeing as in past tests Arch linux was about 10-20% faster in some of your bechmarks would that not have equalled Windows 7 in some of the tests ?

    I did post this in the thread but had no direct response.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,766

    Default

    Then you'd have to disable Aero on 7 and whatever-it's-called on OS X too

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Well this is sort of the point.

    As far as i'm aware (correct me if I am wrong) in Winblows7 Aero is automatically disabled when running full screen 3D.

    If that is the case then a re-test with compiz disabled would be more fair (that is if compiz wasn't disabled in the 1st place) (the results would be more similar)

    I create a script that I load when playing a game that disabled compiz (and get roughly 30-40% more fps)

    This is what Linux lacks - There needs to be a way of automatically disabling compiz when running 3d games (whats the point of running compiz when you can't see it?) - there is a brainstorm idea here

    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/12737/

    In my experience every game that co-exists for linux and windows is faster in linux on Nvidia hardware - i.e etqw, et, savage, prey, nexuiz, openarea - i always disable compiz. Not only more fps but more responsive also (bfs kernel makes this more so)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yossarianuk View Post
    This is what Linux lacks - There needs to be a way of automatically disabling compiz when running 3d games (whats the point of running compiz when you can't see it?) - there is a brainstorm idea here
    Not really, KDE 4 Compositor is automatically disabled as well when running 3d games fullscreen. This is a Gnome/Compiz issue.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Not really, KDE 4 Compositor is automatically disabled as well when running 3d games fullscreen. This is a Gnome/Compiz issue.
    Maybe it should in theory. When I have kwin effects enabled I have about half FPS less in games. Kubuntu 10.04.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    Maybe it should in theory. When I have kwin effects enabled I have about half FPS less in games. Kubuntu 10.04.
    Works here every time using the nvidia blobs.

  7. #7

    Default

    Each OS was left with their default settings. Ubuntu enables Compiz by default when running the NVIDIA driver.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Each OS was left with their default settings. Ubuntu enables Compiz by default when running the NVIDIA driver.
    Then it seems a compiz slowed Ubuntu down in graphics

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •