Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Bringing The R600 Gallium3D Driver Up To Speed

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Sure, just like we did with Alex Deucher
    Well he's the exception to the rule. I haven't seen a commit from Richard in ages, but supposedly he's working on Evergreen support. Which is btw long overdue. And Cooper is also gone, probably working on fglrx now.

    I think it would be better if AMD just handed over the docs to Red Hat and payed them to develop the drivers. They have much more experience with open source.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    I think it would be better if AMD just handed over the docs to Red Hat and payed them to develop the drivers. They have much more experience with open source.
    LMAO, you mean like what was done with RadeonHD?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    LMAO, you mean like what was done with RadeonHD?
    Just to clarify that was Novell. Red Hat might or might not be better.

    On the other hand monraaf has a good point, Cooper and Richard barely commits anything. So what's up with them?

    I think Alex, Corbin, Dave, Jerome, Marek and Rafal* are _the_ developers with a few random commits from some other kind people. So it is 1 AMD, 2 RH and 2 freelancer. In my opinion this is not something AMD should be proud of.

    * The alphabetic order is intentional, they are all awesome. My apologies if I missed someone, only they came to my mind.
    Corbin seems recently to be a bit inactive, though.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    On the other hand monraaf has a good point, Cooper and Richard barely commits anything. So what's up with them?
    Yeah I am wondering aswell.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    On the other hand monraaf has a good point, Cooper and Richard barely commits anything. So what's up with them?
    Richard is mostly working on things where the IP has not yet been reviewed/released, so his work tends to come out in large and infrequent chunks. A lot of Alex's recent work has been in areas where the IP was released a year or more ago so code changes can come out "as they happen", ie more frequently.

    Cooper was pulled off onto a different project in late 2009; it was supposed to be temporary but seems to be more or less permanent. We may end up having to organize a replacement for him in the Shanghai open source team, not sure yet.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Richard is mostly working on things where the IP has not yet been reviewed/released, so his work tends to come out in large and infrequent chunks. A lot of Alex's recent work has been in areas where the IP was released a year or more ago so code changes can come out "as they happen", ie more frequently.

    Cooper was pulled off onto a different project in late 2009; it was supposed to be temporary but seems to be more or less permanent. We may end up having to organize a replacement for him in the Shanghai open source team, not sure yet.
    Thanks for that info. It'd be great to hear such stuff and some sort of progress reports more frequently (like every two weeks ?) - just to know what happens. I mean, it's a lot better to know if there are just difficulties or if somebody got pulled into another project than not knowing and waiting for the big patch that surely arrives - tomorrow.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,544

    Default

    I don't think there's enough news to provide an update on anything like that frequency. I reported last fall that Cooper had been pulled off onto another project, and it's now looking pretty definite that he won't be coming back to open source graphics (so I reported that), but there wasn't really any news in between to report.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,402

    Default

    Also, just to clarify, AMD never said we were writing the drivers ourselves. The plan has always to support the open source driver development process by providing documentation, code, and development advice. The more developers that get involved the better.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    I think Alex, Corbin, Dave, Jerome, Marek and Rafal* are _the_ developers with a few random commits from some other kind people. So it is 1 AMD, 2 RH and 2 freelancer. In my opinion this is not something AMD should be proud of.
    Apart from ignoring Richard and Cooper's work (little things like the 6xx/7xx 3D driver), why is this something we should not be proud of ? On the closed source side we write the drivers; on the open source side tha plan was always to work with and support the developer community, not to write and release the drivers ourselves.

    EDIT - Alex beat me again ;(

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    On the closed source side we write the drivers; on the open source side tha plan was always to work with and support the developer community, not to write and release the drivers ourselves.
    And how is that working out?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •