Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200k more until 1 mill and source code given for several indie games

Interesting, we managed to beat the Mac users, but not by very much.

Perhaps there needs to be more information about the code so Svartalf can look into getting the game in good shape on Linux. If the physics engine is indeed closed then the code will need reworking for a more open engine. Also perhaps even get the rights to the data files negotiated as well

Well, it's already in pretty good shape on Linux, as for the data files, I'm guessing they will continue to sell them.

They're using Newton Game Dynamics for physics, which is what I was refering to earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovic View Post
    The source code is open source, the data files are in fact not.
    Uhm, then what is the whole fuss about? How do I play the open source version of Lugaru?

The same way you play the open source of Quake3 Arena, or Doom.

They will release the demo assets under a non-commercial license, so you can play the game, but they won't release all the assets for free.

You'll probably be able to purchase the stuff for a very small sum of money, like with the Doom levels and Quake III Arena.

Bah. I thought we're getting the game in a playable state, not just the code. I can write the code myself if I want to (and looking at it makes me think I would be better at it too).

One would think 1 million bucks would be enough to make part of the game at least free beer :-/ They generated a lot of PR with this move, even though it turns out its nothing special, *and* got a crapload of money out of it.

the data assets (art, sound and etc.) are available in the mercurial repos... you can compile the game out the box I think. RealNC why don't you buy 5 games for a small amount of money? you get the games already working, if you feel the need to play right away...

I was not interested in buying the games. Actually, I was not interested *at all*. But since I've heard they now Free, hey, why not give then a try?

Some confusion remains however. People claim the "assets" aren't available for download at all. So you're saying they're in the repo now after all?

Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    Wow, that was quick. GPLv2 for Lugaru:
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/05/Lugaru-goes-open-source
    Heh... According to the Wolfire bunch, they spent most of last night in final preparation for what they suspected was to happen there.

@RealNC: yes, they are available in the repo, at least from what I've grabbed from the repo.

@Svartalf: they did an excellent work by anticipating... But one question remains... If Penumbra is owned by the Frictional Games, why Wolfire did convince them to release other indies' games src code? Did they all merged together, to form a big Indie gaming company?