Page 51 of 111 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #501

    Default

    Also, I can understand why people would play Valve games under WINE, but why should linux users fork over good money for Valve games when there is a constant possibility of not be able to play them due to Valve breaking things with updates. It's far too risky and slow in my opinion.

  2. #502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    You guys can't prove it.
    The onus isn't on use to disprove that it is coming, the onus is on you to prove that it actually is coming.
    Taking the religious stance will do you no good here. I don't like crushing hope, but it's better than false hope.

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    374

    Default

    To say it again clearly for a second time: I don't know if it's coming or not, and never claimed to. I'm on the fence, with a wait and see attitude. I only responded to this thread because I think the naysayers are so damn ridiculous.


    That said:
    There are some hints that it might possibly show up, such as the binary. There is no confirmation. On the naysayers side however, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever that proves it's not coming. That link you tried passing off was a hilarious attempt, but obviously proves nothing.

    To sum up:
    Steam is coming people: a hint of proof
    Steam is not coming people: nothing
    Therefore, yes, it is up to the naysayers to prove it's not coming. That, or just let people have their hope.

  4. #504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    To say it again clearly for a second time: I don't know if it's coming or not, and never claimed to. I'm on the fence, with a wait and see attitude. I only responded to this thread because I think the naysayers are so damn ridiculous.


    That said:
    There are some hints that it might possibly show up, such as the binary. There is no confirmation. On the naysayers side however, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever that proves it's not coming. That link you tried passing off was a hilarious attempt, but obviously proves nothing.

    To sum up:
    Steam is coming people: a hint of proof
    Steam is not coming people: nothing
    Therefore, yes, it is up to the naysayers to prove it's not coming. That, or just let people have their hope.
    Delusion won't do anyone here any good...

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_bill View Post
    Delusion won't do anyone here any good...
    Exactly, which its why its deluded to say its NOT coming.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    To say it again clearly for a second time: I don't know if it's coming or not, and never claimed to. I'm on the fence, with a wait and see attitude. I only responded to this thread because I think the naysayers are so damn ridiculous.


    That said:
    There are some hints that it might possibly show up, such as the binary. There is no confirmation. On the naysayers side however, there is absolutely nothing whatsoever that proves it's not coming. That link you tried passing off was a hilarious attempt, but obviously proves nothing.

    To sum up:
    Steam is coming people: a hint of proof
    Steam is not coming people: nothing
    Therefore, yes, it is up to the naysayers to prove it's not coming. That, or just let people have their hope.
    Sorry but such broken logic just makes me puke.

    The binary vanished. It's a non-proof since they pulled it and the binary had not been working at all. And no, getting a window showing on screen with some hacking on the binary is not a "functioning binary", it's a GUI test at best. On the other side the article is on a Valve maintained place, namely their support place and it states clearly and unmissunderstandably: "There are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time." That's quite a proof over there. And if you claim this to be old, look at the modification time: "Wed, 12th May 2010". This is clearly a lot later in time than the binary. So if they say "after" the binary incident that there are no plans then the binary is nothing else than a little mockup of somebody at valve but nothing which convinced them to go any further. It's not unusual to allow enthusiastic employees to cook something up. And it's also not unusual for such work to not get far as it doesn't convince the management. That's called business life.

    So to sum it up your statement should be correctly like this:

    Steam is coming people: no proof (rumor about a non-working binary)
    Steam is not coming people: hard fact article by valve itself modified in May.
    Therefore, it is up to the yes-sayers to prove it's coming.

  7. #507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Sorry but such broken logic just makes me puke.

    The binary vanished. It's a non-proof since they pulled it and the binary had not been working at all. And no, getting a window showing on screen with some hacking on the binary is not a "functioning binary", it's a GUI test at best. On the other side the article is on a Valve maintained place, namely their support place and it states clearly and unmissunderstandably: "There are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time." That's quite a proof over there. And if you claim this to be old, look at the modification time: "Wed, 12th May 2010". This is clearly a lot later in time than the binary. So if they say "after" the binary incident that there are no plans then the binary is nothing else than a little mockup of somebody at valve but nothing which convinced them to go any further. It's not unusual to allow enthusiastic employees to cook something up. And it's also not unusual for such work to not get far as it doesn't convince the management. That's called business life.

    So to sum it up your statement should be correctly like this:

    Steam is coming people: no proof (rumor about a non-working binary)
    Steam is not coming people: hard fact article by valve itself modified in May.
    Therefore, it is up to the yes-sayers to prove it's coming.
    Just one comment to that (which is a good sign imho):

    I searched the steam forum in the past (before the hype) a lot of times for questions about linux and so on. Every thread in the forum i found was closed down by the forum admins within days with the notice->we have no plan to support it, therfore thread closed !

    now take a look at the steam forum..the post about linux is huge.
    If valve would have no interest in this rumors and would have no plans to bring the client they could shut down all the rumors within a second with a single forum post. But they don't. So, why let all the rumors, the article on this uk newspage etc.. uncommented when i would take only 1 second to say "No interest in Linux for the near future/never" ?

    And that is for me the best sign !

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    Just one comment to that (which is a good sign imho):

    I searched the steam forum in the past (before the hype) a lot of times for questions about linux and so on. Every thread in the forum i found was closed down by the forum admins within days with the notice->we have no plan to support it, therfore thread closed !

    now take a look at the steam forum..the post about linux is huge.
    If valve would have no interest in this rumors and would have no plans to bring the client they could shut down all the rumors within a second with a single forum post. But they don't. So, why let all the rumors, the article on this uk newspage etc.. uncommented when i would take only 1 second to say "No interest in Linux for the near future/never" ?

    And that is for me the best sign !
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...73683&page=109
    109 pages as of writing. Pretty good.
    Not exactly proof but just another hint for the pile.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Guys... calm down...

    Just like I said we have options:
    -Threaten to nuke Valves northpole HQ
    -Create a virus that spreads like wildfire on Windows and instals an overclock tool that will permanently nuke every Windows user out of the PC market out of orbit, geniously increasing the Linux marketshare

    We shall not be ignored!

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by christian_frank View Post
    Just one comment to that (which is a good sign imho):

    I searched the steam forum in the past (before the hype) a lot of times for questions about linux and so on. Every thread in the forum i found was closed down by the forum admins within days with the notice->we have no plan to support it, therfore thread closed !

    now take a look at the steam forum..the post about linux is huge.
    If valve would have no interest in this rumors and would have no plans to bring the client they could shut down all the rumors within a second with a single forum post. But they don't. So, why let all the rumors, the article on this uk newspage etc.. uncommented when i would take only 1 second to say "No interest in Linux for the near future/never" ?

    And that is for me the best sign !
    I think the reason there is not a coming binary but PR practice. There had been such anti-Linux behaviors in forums at other publishers too. In the recent times though a bunch of "explosions" happened when people got enraged enough about their Linux talk (which most of the time included Wine) got trashed that they produced quite an uproar. Angry customers is not something to have especially with people getting more pissed due to increasingly aggressive DRM and other so-called anti-piracy stuff which hits only legit customers. Enraging people enough can make them no more buy your stuff and that's something a good business man tries to avoid. I chalk this let-it-happen attitude therefore more to the fact that valve doesn't want to piss off people more than they already did with their various "faux-pas" in the recent history (HL3 delay drama, LfD2 drama to name a few of the obvious ones). So I think you read something into this PR stunt which doesn't exist.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •