Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #521
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    I don't read or quote unthoughtful crap like that. Please read my posts before jolting out a crap like that. You wanted to know why somebody would want to pull the plug in such a situation or how he could loose money and one solution is piracy concern. Fact is as soon as the binary had been discovered Linux people had been all over it and "binary modified it". This is (in game security view) the first step on piracy of your product. Steam is a money-bag for Valve. If they allow this platform to be compromised from release time on they endanger their revenue stream. Would you put your game on steam if every Linux guy can pirate it for free? You might say now "who cares about the Linux guys, they have Windows copies to sell!". Unfortunately this is not true. Let's say you can get the Windows or Linux copy of the same game through steam. Let's assume the Linux version is cracked. Would people buy the Windows version if they can get the cracked Linux version for free? As you can see a compromised Linux steam client due to binary hacking is serious danger. This is nothing a good business suit takes lightly, especially not a successful one.

    Hopefully you read this time before writing half-asses crap like that. The Games-World doesn't turn they way many here think it does.
    #1. If people want your game for free they will get your game for free. Torrenting a copy of any game ever created is an extremely simple process so there would be no point in playing with the steam binary, but none of that really matters because...
    #2. Cracking the steam binary open wouldn't help piracy at all. Having control of the client wouldn't suddenly let you download all of their games for free because each and every game needs to have a transaction tied to an account. Your account is stored in their servers so controlling the client would be pointless. However this argument doesn't matter because...
    #3. You are a f***ing retard. You will defend your point to the death because you cannot comprehend that you could ever be wrong about a subject you clearly only have tertiary knowledge of at best.
    The short version is that your argument sucks and you're a tosser.

  2. #522
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Well, if Valve decides to pull the plug on a linux-client because of the hacking that's been done by all the "Linux pirates", it's because Phoronix reported this from the beginning, giving all interested links and info on how to get started.

    Regardless of how trustworthy Michaels source is, he should never have stirred up this story for a quick buck. Now it's basically a joke, and probably will never come true because Michael can't keep a secret. Thanks a lot.

  3. #523
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    Fact is as soon as the binary had been discovered Linux people had been all over it and "binary modified it". This is (in game security view) the first step on piracy of your product.
    Worse things than Piracy can happen with a cracked Steam client. Things that would leave Valve open to large class-actions if they didn't act against them. Think identity theft, etc.


    Steam is a money-bag for Valve.
    You are assuming Steam is successful, Valve hasn't released any numbers and until they do, you are just talking out of your backside here. If you don't agree with fenixkane, good for you, but please try to keep your abuse of facts to a minimum.


    Hopefully you read this time before writing half-asses crap like that.
    Pot -> kettle -> black d-;

  4. #524
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    There's not much "proof" to say for either side.
    Although there is the native Steam running in Linux, there are plenty of things to explain that.
    The CEO has had personal opinions about Linux (and PS3 and Apple), and also the support page says there is no plans for a Linux client, probably to keep hype down if the other side is true.

    There's not much to do except wait it out and not worry about it, and if it gets released soon, then use it if you want to. Just don't act like the lack of proof on one side proves the other side.

  5. #525
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    45

    Arrow

    I don't think it's going to happen.
    There's absolutely no motive for valve to release a linux steam client, even if they had it working.

    1. There's no games for linux.

    Who's going to drive a truck around selling nothing.
    And why support extra platforms for no gain. Ask idSoftware how their Linux games went ?

    2. 3. 4. See above. There. Is. No. Games.

    5. Linux community is (sadly) ungrateful.

    Ignorant, big-mouthed kids spout shit like "Proprietry crap" to generalise non-free software, talk about DRM as if it's the devil (when even Linus says he has nothing against DRM per-se), and are imho generally less likely to part with money.

    Sure... some dev's probably included code for possible linux support, but that's a world away from making it work, clearing it with legal+management, and actually... you know... making games for linux.

  6. #526
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    1. There's no games for linux.
    Riiiight... Both Epic, id and 3D Realms are over there.
    Epic has UT. id has everything. 3D Realms have Prey and Duke Nukem 3D for which the source code is out there and people need the files for running it on Linux.

    Who's going to drive a truck around selling nothing
    Valve, appearantly...
    Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community. Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

    Ignorant, big-mouthed kids
    Like you, who have no idea what they're talking about...

  7. #527
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fenixkane View Post
    #2. Cracking the steam binary open wouldn't help piracy at all. Having control of the client wouldn't suddenly let you download all of their games for free because each and every game needs to have a transaction tied to an account. Your account is stored in their servers so controlling the client would be pointless. However this argument doesn't matter because....
    Actually, you're wrong on this point. There are hacks around for the current Windows Steam Binary that DO let you download and play most of the games available through steam.

  8. #528
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KameZero View Post
    Actually, you're wrong on this point. There are hacks around for the current Windows Steam Binary that DO let you download and play most of the games available through steam.
    Well then, if thats true I stand corrected. However by dragonlords argument Valve should stop supporting Windows because 'of all the piracy'.
    I guess the end of it should be: Pirates are not your customers. Pirates WILL pirate, customers will pay if they are not inconvenienced by draconian DRM and find the product worth the price. And if you look at the sales statistics of the humble indie bundle it shows that you have a lot of paying customers not served on Linux.

  9. #529
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_an_S View Post
    There's not much "proof" to say for either side.
    Although there is the native Steam running in Linux, there are plenty of things to explain that.
    The CEO has had personal opinions about Linux (and PS3 and Apple), and also the support page says there is no plans for a Linux client, probably to keep hype down if the other side is true.

    There's not much to do except wait it out and not worry about it, and if it gets released soon, then use it if you want to. Just don't act like the lack of proof on one side proves the other side.
    Most reasonable argument I've heard all day. +1

  10. #530
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenaaus View Post
    I don't think it's going to happen.
    There's absolutely no motive for valve to release a linux steam client, even if they had it working.

    1. There's no games for linux.

    Who's going to drive a truck around selling nothing.
    And why support extra platforms for no gain. Ask idSoftware how their Linux games went ?

    2. 3. 4. See above. There. Is. No. Games.

    5. Linux community is (sadly) ungrateful.
    To add to Vincents response:
    1, 2, 3, 4: See indie games community (lots of Linux support from indies)
    5: See humble indie bundle (Linux users payed twice as much as windows users, if that's ungrateful...)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •