Page 67 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #661
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I'm dubious of Lombardi's statement.
    There have been so many references and evidence, that I can only take his statement with a grain of salt.

  2. #662
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Well the exact phrase leaves some room for speculations. Maybe the have just stopped the current development for the time being, or it's not them but a third party working on it... etc.

    But to be honest, I don't think we should get our hopes too high.

    It's a pity though that the Mac OpenGL renderer isn't available for the windows version, as that would really speed up running source games with WINE

  3. #663
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    It's a pity though that the Mac OpenGL renderer isn't available for the windows version, as that would really speed up running source games with WINE
    I doubt Microsoft would like it very much if it was.

  4. #664
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    @Svartalf:
    You can see this btw in many remarks about Linux ports, that due to the myriads of different Linux systems official support is too difficult, meaning for the profits that could be made its still too costly (id is a case in point as they don't officially support Linux).
    And, they'd be wrong. It's not "too costly" if you know what you're doing. I've done it twice and about to do it a third time, with the prospects of much more coming down the pike. It's not all that hard- and while I would like to think I'm pretty clever, it's not rocket science after all. I'd hate to think that iD couldn't manage what I've done- or any other major studio you'd care to mention. And if it's too "expensive" in light of the fact that you don't need to spin custom binaries for each and every distribution, I'd challenge that they're operating too close to margins and they're going to go "poof" at any moment. Some studios might be there, most honestly won't be.

    In truth, it's more an excuse that they can't do it or see the profit in doing it. They even have something to point to in the past that we failed ourselves on. Q3:A could've been the start of greater things, but because of a logistics screwup on Loki's part, coupled with pressing entirely too many units and people being absolutely unwilling to wait roughly TWO weeks on the rollout of the game for LINUX, we lost Loki Games, lost the opportunity to have sold enough units to caught the attention of the games industry back then.

    It's brought up, much like any of the other excuses, because they don't know the OS, think it's rampant with piracy ("They didn't pay for their OS, so why do we think they'll pay for our game?" Never mind that much of the customer base they're selling to pirated Windows in the first place...), they need to outsource the development and that's expensive, and so on and so forth.

    So far, there's several Indies that've seen different stories to the ones we've all seen given out by all the other players- and those aren't flukes. And, more to the point, if you're wanting to target one of the mainline smartphone OSes (and you'd be talking Linux, as MeeGo, WebOS, and Android (yes, even Android...) are intrinsically programming to Linux on ARM) you're going to be giving serious considerations to Linux game development- at least for the main growth areas in the games industry.

    As it is, I'm contemplating yet another thing, much like the wishlist threads were done in an attempt to change the nature of the game, that might take many of those excuses away. I'm quite honestly tired of hearing "there's too many distributions" and things like it from producers of software. It's flatly not true.

  5. #665
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius View Post
    Well the exact phrase leaves some room for speculations. Maybe the have just stopped the current development for the time being, or it's not them but a third party working on it... etc.
    Try third party, most likely. At least one of their licensees that intends on using Steam and Source has stated they'd ship a Linux version and they've not corrected the statements at this time.

    But to be honest, I don't think we should get our hopes too high.
    Heh... I've been telling people that for a while now. It's easier on the state of mind when it doesn't happen and you can be pleasantly surprised if it does. There's enough info to indicate that there might be something in the works, but it's significantly off in the future that the statements made could be wholly true or that they've got independent contractors doing the work and they haven't gotten there yet.

    It's a possibility that it'd be a nice thing if we get things like Steam- but it's not the big thing people are making it to be. There's more important things to get going and I'm just going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on things here- which is what EVERYONE, hopeful and not, should be doing here.

  6. #666
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    ...It's a possibility that it'd be a nice thing if we get things like Steam- but it's not the big thing people are making it to be. There's more important things to get going and I'm just going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on things here- which is what EVERYONE, hopeful and not, should be doing here.
    Sure, but what irks me (and a lot others here) is the headline Michael chose, "It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!", making waves throughout the Linux community, when it's anything but official. I know this site uses sensationalism a lot and this exact point have been discussed already, but the way information has been handled is worse than what happened to NWN or even the cancellation of UT3, IMO.

    Ok, we might get a Linux port of Source Engine with Postal 3 (and maybe it's Running With Scissors that's handling the port?) and I will gladly wait until that is OFFICIAL, but Phoronix ends up being "the boy who cried wolf"...

  7. #667
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Even when there is code that shows the possibility of a port it is by no means a guarantee. Serious Sam 2 for example even had public betas and a final version never did appear for example.

  8. #668

    Default

    To address the many emails/inquiries from today, aside from the individualized emails I have provided on the matter, I will simply say Valve is still working on the Linux client and it is still coming. It may not be delivered on Valve's original time-line (end of Summer), but by year's end is still not out of question. I haven't made a news post of these recent matters though since there will continue to be doubters and those just trying to tarnish the Phoronix brand claiming its for ad views, etc, however, the Steam Linux client is still coming. Though beyond this statement I probably won't answer more until I have something to link to ValveSoftware.com or when there's something else to shut up those doubting this information, just take it as you will. This is just a similar situation to when I had broke the news on the new ATI "Orca" Linux driver back in 2007, SplashTop info, etc etc...

    Besides anything that I say or from my sources, it's been independently confirmed by The Telegraph that it's coming, there's been the Steam Linux binaries shown, Steam continues to hire Linux engineers (they don't need that many for a server port, you've likely seen all the work done by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon for Linux server ports that he has individually done for major game titles), to this day you can continue to find Valve's Chris Green of recruiting saying they are really looking for Linux engineers (such as on LinkedIn), etc etc. [Not to mention that Valve was very quiet about the OS X client up until their closed beta was quite soon.]

    Michael

  9. #669
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To address the many emails/inquiries from today, aside from the individualized emails I have provided on the matter, I will simply say Valve is still working on the Linux client and it is still coming. It may not be delivered on Valve's original time-line (end of Summer), but by year's end is still not out of question. I haven't made a news post of these recent matters though since there will continue to be doubters and those just trying to tarnish the Phoronix brand claiming its for ad views, etc, however, the Steam Linux client is still coming. Though beyond this statement I probably won't answer more until I have something to link to ValveSoftware.com or when there's something else to shut up those doubting this information, just take it as you will. This is just a similar situation to when I had broke the news on the new ATI "Orca" Linux driver back in 2007, SplashTop info, etc etc...

    Besides anything that I say or from my sources, it's been independently confirmed by The Telegraph that it's coming, there's been the Steam Linux binaries shown, Steam continues to hire Linux engineers (they don't need that many for a server port, you've likely seen all the work done by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon for Linux server ports that he has individually done for major game titles), to this day you can continue to find Valve's Chris Green of recruiting saying they are really looking for Linux engineers (such as on LinkedIn), etc etc. [Not to mention that Valve was very quiet about the OS X client up until their closed beta was quite soon.]

    Michael
    this gif makes me undesrtand what Micheal just said or feels

  10. #670
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    New proof :

    http://valvesoftware.com/company/people.html

    Alfred Reynolds

    Software Developer
    Alfred joined Valve as a software engineer in 2002. Since his arrival, he has contributed to the development of Counter-Strike, Half-Life 2, and Steam. He also does his best to maintain the Linux ports of our games. Most recently, he lead the Steam development efforts to bring third party applications to the leading online distribution platform. Prior to his arrival at Valve Alfred worked for an Australian research organization and would be forced to kill anyone who discovered the true nature of his work there. He was also to blame for starting plugins on Half-Life servers, in particular creating Admin Mod.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •