Page 24 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #231
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No, my confirmation or sources are not The Telegraph. I simply linked to The Telegraph as another place that has also confirmed this information, albeit I have had my sources on the matter much longer than they have.
    I retract my claim then.

  2. #232
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    After installing L4D via Steam on my computer, I was not able to play L4D without Steam running. It is required that you log in to run L4D.

    This is DRM. Do not pay for Steam games. You shouldn't have to ask for permission to play your own games.

    No shocker to most of you, but just saying.

  3. #233
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No, my confirmation or sources are not The Telegraph. I simply linked to The Telegraph as another place that has also confirmed this information, albeit I have had my sources on the matter much longer than they have.
    It would be nice to actually see your sources, otherwise it's only confirmation from you, making it not official.

  4. #234
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    After installing L4D via Steam on my computer, I was not able to play L4D without Steam running. It is required that you log in to run L4D.

    This is DRM. Do not pay for Steam games. You shouldn't have to ask for permission to play your own games.
    What about people who disagree with your view on DRM? It seems like you are assuming that we all 'know' DRM = Evil. We know what we're getting into when we buy games from them...

  5. #235
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    After installing L4D via Steam on my computer, I was not able to play L4D without Steam running. It is required that you log in to run L4D.

    This is DRM. Do not pay for Steam games. You shouldn't have to ask for permission to play your own games.

    No shocker to most of you, but just saying.
    If you run your argument further, even having to have the CD in the drive can be considered "DRM"...

  6. #236
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    This is DRM. Do not pay for Steam games. You shouldn't have to ask for permission to play your own games.
    then why did you buy the game and why did you agree to the EULA?

  7. #237
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWretched View Post
    If you run your argument further, even having to have the CD in the drive can be considered "DRM"...
    That would be more copy protection then DRM. DRM entails getting permission from an outside system to authorize the use of their product.

  8. #238
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    PSSSSSSSSSSSSST!

    *And to think that L4D is a multiplayer co-op mode that you need to contact the central game server for so you can be linked to an online co-op match*

    FAIL

  9. #239
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebwt View Post
    What about people who disagree with your view on DRM? It seems like you are assuming that we all 'know' DRM = Evil. We know what we're getting into when we buy games from them...
    DRM is bad because it is a hindrance for you, the consumer. But, let corporations convince you a hindrance is good for you like a good sheeple.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWretched View Post
    If you run your argument further, even having to have the CD in the drive can be considered "DRM"...
    Correct, you should be able to copy data where you want so you can run programs from anywhere. CD copy protection preventing "full installation" is a form of DRM, dur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
    then why did you buy the game and why did you agree to the EULA?
    Did I say I did? No. Neither does most anyone who clicks on them. No one reads them. I also never said I clicked on any EULAs. EULAs are "fine print designed to fuck you". Do you honestly believe corporations have your best interests in mind? What planet are you from? The only way Steam gets away with it is because it's "on the web" to begin with.

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    That would be more copy protection then DRM. DRM entails getting permission from an outside system to authorize the use of their product.
    "Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices."
    While software can have limitations in the form of a lack of features, DRM is thus an intentional device to "impose limitations on the usage", so yes, copy protection is of course DRM, dur.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    PSSSSSSSSSSSSST!

    *And to think that L4D is a multiplayer co-op mode that you need to contact the central game server for so you can be linked to an online co-op match*

    FAIL
    Which requires you to connect to Steam in order to get their permission before playing, instead of playing co-op over LAN, Internet, or ANY central server (not just Valve's, or playing single-player.


    I have reached the conclusion that you are all either retarded or/and corporate sellouts. You of course all have the freedom to be corporate sellouts and let corporations p0wn you on their terms when they feel like doing so, but others like myself will not accept those terms.

    Steam can fuck off. Long live DRM-free software, and best: open source software.

    Switch to bounty models. Also, live in countries which don't have out-of-control costs of living so that it will cost less to program.

  10. #240
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    Switch to bounty models. Also, live in countries which don't have out-of-control costs of living so that it will cost less to program.
    I think Wolfire and the other indies from the Humble Bundle are striving for something along those lines.

    Heh...I'll say it again...I'm mildly surprised Phoronix didn't cover that more than they did this stuff. It's as big as Valve possibly doing Steam and Source for Linux- which is all he's got for actual things he can state and have people verify right at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •