Page 54 of 111 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 1105

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

  1. #531
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Oh snap, I totaly forgot about EA games with their Medal of Honor port and 2k games with Serious Sam 1st encounter, 2nd encounter and Serious Sam 2.

    Lol I think there are more legendary games for Linux than Mac...

  2. #532
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fenixkane View Post
    #3. You are a f***ing retard. You will defend your point to the death because you cannot comprehend that you could ever be wrong about a subject you clearly only have tertiary knowledge of at best.
    The short version is that your argument sucks and you're a tosser.
    Welcome to my ban list. Come back once you learn how to do arguments without insulting anybody left and right: RED CARD!

  3. #533
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    You are assuming Steam is successful, Valve hasn't released any numbers and until they do, you are just talking out of your backside here. If you don't agree with fenixkane, good for you, but please try to keep your abuse of facts to a minimum.
    Successful enough for lots of people to copy them. That said there has been an article once somewhere which stated how well Steam is for Valve in their line-up. I don't have that URL at hand but it's definitely not pulled out of my ass.

  4. #534
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7

    Default

    So, has anyone referenced this yet?

  5. #535
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hit in the Head View Post
    So, has anyone referenced this yet?
    somewhere back in the thread, yes. It's old news, and is probably more about dedicated servers than anything else.

  6. #536
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord View Post
    That's true that something like that requires a few mockups or prototypes to lead before the actual client starts off. It is though incorrect that it always has to cost money. Ever done some fiddling with some code in your spare time because it interest you? That's how mockups and prototypes tend to start their lives. These are though not necessarily ordered to by the business suits which leads to the next question.
    Following your logic both our points are probable: developers could work in their free or work time on a poc/mockup.

    It actually is if you think once from the position of a business suit. What risk would it pose to you if you launch steam on Linux and due to people hacking the binary (as they have proven to do without second thoughts) piracy goes rampage? If that's not a reason to pull the plug to not endanger your already good running windows steam world then you are a bad business suit.
    To summarize your arguments:
    - on valve's site was somekind of poc/mockup
    - this software was either in free or work time developed
    - de software was put on their website
    - the binairies on their website have been altered to get it running better by some people (who probably own windows machines as well).
    - Altering the software is a good reason to hold the linux release because its now 'proven' people will hack their software without a second though.

    the last point is what I don't see (yet). I don't see why releasing a linux client would increase the risk compared to windows. Sure the linux code is open and a running binairy can be analysed better, but this is no different from any other binairies including the drivers from nvidia or ait, etc. There are way around this.

    Besides the recent events, there's still is no reason to hold any planned releases. The original benefits should still be the same, while there are no new risks introduced (The software was not that exciting).

  7. #537
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mirv View Post
    somewhere back in the thread, yes. It's old news, and is probably more about dedicated servers than anything else.
    Sorry about that! I thought I searched well enough...

    Apparently not. Well, here's to hoping!

  8. #538
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    Following your logic both our points are probable: developers could work in their free or work time on a poc/mockup.



    To summarize your arguments:
    - on valve's site was somekind of poc/mockup
    - this software was either in free or work time developed
    - de software was put on their website
    - the binairies on their website have been altered to get it running better by some people (who probably own windows machines as well).
    - Altering the software is a good reason to hold the linux release because its now 'proven' people will hack their software without a second though.

    the last point is what I don't see (yet). I don't see why releasing a linux client would increase the risk compared to windows. Sure the linux code is open and a running binairy can be analysed better, but this is no different from any other binairies including the drivers from nvidia or ait, etc. There are way around this.

    Besides the recent events, there's still is no reason to hold any planned releases. The original benefits should still be the same, while there are no new risks introduced (The software was not that exciting).
    Also, I'd like to show statistics from the Humble Bundle (if someone hasn't already).
    This was a pack of 4 games which you can buy at any price over a dollar.

    Not only did on average. Linux users paid MORE for the games, but they also spent more money than the people on Macs.

    Yes, most Linux users know how to pirate things. That doesn't mean that they will.

  9. #539
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    This is correct and I don't think the majority of Linux people are crackers or alike. The problem is more how it looks like. We are starting with a -10 in this battle since Linux (Un*x in general) is looked at as a hacker paradise. Uninformed people see us as the bad guys (hence -10). So if a windows binary gets hacked it looks different to them (starting at +10 opinion or something like that) while with a hacked Linux binary hell breaks loose (as their opinion is already on -10). That's the nasty psychology behind this problem. That's like America. If a white persons steals an apple it is not going to get them lots of troubles, maybe not even looked after. If a black person though steals an apple is handled like he did some really serious crime. Here it's the same just that Windows are the whites and Linux the blacks. So if you look at this problematics look at it from this analogy to get the idea why we have to play differently than the Windows guys. It's unfair but if we want to get somewhere we have to handle this handicap the right way. And this is not to steal the apple even if we intended to polish it up. Police won't believe that.

  10. #540
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    Guys, if you want to speed up the process, go apply to work at Valve. They are looking for more Linux developers at the moment. All this speculation about why it's still not out is nonsense.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •