Page 62 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Quote Originally Posted by Setlec View Post
    more updates taken from this website gamesindustry.biz (i'm quoting cause it requires login to read the whole article:

It seems that we are really getting this!
    The article is lying to us! First it says that they will talk about whether Steam will come to Linux, and then it never comes up again!

Taken from the second part of the article that i've linked in my last post!

Q: Final question, and one I'm sure you're not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I'd ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you're also working on a Linux version of Steam?

Doug Lombardi: There's no Linux version that we're working on right now. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    The article is lying to us! First it says that they will talk about whether Steam will come to Linux, and then it never comes up again!
    (I hate this one min Edit) true i do apologize for my "we are really getting this" statement! Didn't read all article carefully!

It's on page two:

Q: Final question, and one I'm sure you're not super-keen to answer, but I promised one of our tech guys I'd ask it. What truth is there to rumours that you're also working on a Linux version of Steam?Doug Lombardi: There's no Linux version that we're working on right now. ...

So, Valve says: no Steam on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Remco View Post
    It's on page two:

So, Valve says: no Steam on Linux.
    No, Valve is saying that they are not working on it _right now_. It's also possible that the Linux guy's busy with aiding the Source succesor _right now_. Remember that these guys are under a NDA. They wouldn't be posting job offers for Linux _game_ porting if they had no intention of doing so.

Wishful thinking versus logic.

It's also possible that the Linux guy's busy with aiding the Source succesor _right now_
    it's possible Gnu/linux make me a sandwich

Sorry but NOW, no plan for a Steam Gnu/linux client !

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    No, Valve is saying that they are not working on it _right now_. It's also possible that the Linux guy's busy with aiding the Source succesor _right now_. Remember that these guys are under a NDA. They wouldn't be posting job offers for Linux _game_ porting if they had no intention of doing so.

Wishful thinking versus logic.
    Wishful thinking versus logic, indeed. How could wishful thinking ever apply to a scepticist? The wishful thinking is that a Linux client is coming. Logic dictates that it isn't. Maybe they'll start porting when Linux gets to 2% market share. According to my aggregated statistics, that should take about 3 to 5 years.

Wishful thinking of a sceptic would be: It isn't going to come. Then: this right here must prove it!

Wishful thinking is also: I want that Steam would be ported: this must prove it!

Logical thinking:
    -job offers for linux game porting.
    -Linux client appearing on FTP.
    -Michael saying he has got inside confirmation.
    -Linux files apearing in the Steam client, while the server binary is a completely seperate download.
    No what's it gonna be, punk? Facts are facts. Those guys are under an NDA so they were not going disclosing anything to anyone, _anyway_.

probably game server only

-Linux client appearing on FTP
    i think it's fake

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Wishful thinking of a sceptic would be: It isn't going to come. Then: this right here must prove it!

Wishful thinking is also: I want that Steam would be ported: this must prove it!

Logical thinking:
    -Linux client appearing on FTP.
    -Michael saying he has got inside confirmation.
    -Linux files apearing in the Steam client, while the server binary is a completely seperate download.
    No what's it gonna be, punk? Facts are facts. Those guys are under an NDA so they were not going disclosing anything to anyone, _anyway_.
    So a Valve developer was excited about Webkit, and hacked together an incomplete Linux version. This developer then said to Michael: "Hey I'm running Steam on Linux!" Then the client leaks. Then the management people get all these questions about some Linux client and they say "hey, we don't have any plans, Linux is way too small at the moment". They could be lying, but as plausible scenarios go, this one is very.