Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,373

    Default The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

    Phoronix: The First DRM Pull Request For Linux 2.6.35 Kernel

    The Linux 2.6.34 kernel was released only three days ago, but David Airlie has emailed Linus Torvalds and the Linux Kernel Mailing List with the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.35 kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI2NQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
    Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

    Can someone explain that to me?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    762

    Default

    because there still r300 users with no updated fglrx. Those are wishing for fast OS drivers, and ATI seems determined to provide.

    AGP cards aren't only found in servers, but also in older notebooks or even desktops in situations where money is lacking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    291

    Default

    I have a SparcStation 5 here... better SBUS support would be welcomed mesa 7.4 crashes the X server though admittedly it might work better with Xorg instead of Xsun...

    All semi joking aside AGP is dead but that doesn't mean support should be killed off to when there is no real reason to do so I have 2 Nvidia Geforce MX 400s that run quite fine and even play games (older games actually look better on these).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
    Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

    Can someone explain that to me?
    Well, a lot of R300-R500 cards are AGP, mine too. And my Radeon 9500 is on my main desktop!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Can we get some HW video decode love?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salvador - Bahia - Brazil
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    why losing time working on AGP support, while AGP has been deprecated for so many years now?
    Not a lot of people still have AGP card, and if they have, it's for running servers that just need to display console/TTY. So no need for a particular power from gfx.

    Can someone explain that to me?


    Do you have any idea what you just said?

    I've been waiting for proper AGP Support (TTM) on my R500 (X1600pro) since 2008!

    I hope this pull do the trick.

    There are lots of AGP cards out there!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes View Post


    Do you have any idea what you just said?

    I've been waiting for proper AGP Support (TTM) on my R500 (X1600pro) since 2008!

    I hope this pull do the trick.

    There are lots of AGP cards out there!


    Sure. And you are free to add support for it. But when AMD employees spend a disproportionate amount of time on AGP and other legacy support I find this quite problematic. An hour spent on legacy support is an hour not spent on support for more recent hardware. And this is precisely an area where AMD is lacking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Sure. And you are free to add support for it. But when AMD employees spend a disproportionate amount of time on AGP and other legacy support I find this quite problematic. An hour spent on legacy support is an hour not spent on support for more recent hardware. And this is precisely an area where AMD is lacking.
    Did you see any AMD employees working on AGP at all?

    Most of the AGP patches are from community members who really can work on what they like.

    Dave.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airlied View Post
    Did you see any AMD employees working on AGP at all?
    You're right my mistake. Not so much AGP this year, just some other commits for r1xx/r2xx. Which are ~10 years old. I can't wait to get my Evergreen support in 2020. LOL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •