Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 146

Thread: Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,691

    Default Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

    Phoronix: Is Arch Linux Really Faster Than Ubuntu?

    Often when we are preparing for cross-distribution comparisons or benchmarks of different operating systems (like our recent Mac OS X 10.6 vs. Windows 7 vs. Ubuntu 10.04 benchmarks) we are often asked to include Arch Linux in the mix. This is usually on the basis of including a rolling-release distribution to provide a performance look at a constantly evolving distribution with many of the most recent open-source packages rather than a traditional distribution with packages that may be months older. Many of those requesting Arch be included in our testing mix also claim that Arch performs significantly faster than Ubuntu and our usual test candidates. The main reason we do not deliver many benchmarks of Arch, Gentoo, or other distributions that use a rolling release approach is that they are not very reproducible with their results since their packages are frequently changing and there are more end-user customizations going on compared to most other distributions. However, to test the performance claims of Arch versus others, we have compared the performance of the newest Arch 2010.05 media against Ubuntu Linux.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14946

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Seriously?! Ubuntu doesn't put compiz on hold when you're playing a 3d game? That is horrible. When I'm playing a game, I expect all my gpu power to be used for it.

    What, do I have to prepend
    metacity --replace &
    to every 3d game in my menu? Inelegant, poorly thought out.

    My first instinct was to request tests with ubuntu running metacity to make it fair, but if that's not thought out better, they deserve to take the hit.

    Arch is superior to ubuntu for 3d gaming in terms of performance. How unfortunate.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    Seriously?! Ubuntu doesn't put compiz on hold when you're playing a 3d game? That is horrible. When I'm playing a game, I expect all my gpu power to be used for it.
    You'll find that, as a gamer, you want to be able to Alt-Tab out of your game if you are getting pwned (read = dead, wait for the next round), or not and go afk, so you can quickly check what server IP's are, or in a MMORPG you might want to check some world map with a lot of useful info. Maybe you are playing a game and you want to see how to max out your kills so what strats to use and whatever, leaderboards...

    In Windows your GUI has to be somewhat reloaded and causes the game app to pauze and when getting back into the game you'll get a black screen/freeze for a couple of seconds. This is irritating as hell.

    So I for one will go ahead and call it a very welcome gaming feature. There should be a GUI checkbox option created somewhere called "DIsable Compiz when running fullscreen OpenGL" though for people with a 10yo GPU.

    Arch is superior to ubuntu for 3d gaming in terms of performance. How unfortunate.
    How fanbias'd...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You'll find that, as a gamer, you want to be able to Alt-Tab out of your game if you are getting pwned (read = dead, wait for the next round), or not and go afk, so you can quickly check what server IP's are, or in a MMORPG you might want to check some world map with a lot of useful info. Maybe you are playing a game and you want to see how to max out your kills so what strats to use and whatever, leaderboards...

    In Windows your GUI has to be somewhat reloaded and causes the game app to pauze and when getting back into the game you'll get a black screen/freeze for a couple of seconds. This is irritating as hell.

    So I for one will go ahead and call it a very welcome gaming feature. There should be a GUI checkbox option created somewhere called "DIsable Compiz when running fullscreen OpenGL" though for people with a 10yo GPU.


    How fanbias'd...
    just use kwin. kwin suspends 3d effects automatically when a fullscreen 3d apps starts.

    But hey, kwin is done by people who care...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    You'll find that, as a gamer, you want to be able to Alt-Tab out of your game if you are getting pwned (read = dead, wait for the next round), or not and go afk, so you can quickly check what server IP's are, or in a MMORPG you might want to check some world map with a lot of useful info. Maybe you are playing a game and you want to see how to max out your kills so what strats to use and whatever, leaderboards...
    Are you saying you can Alt-TAB a fullscreen game in either metacity or compiz?
    How do you do that?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNatewood View Post
    Are you saying you can Alt-TAB a fullscreen game in either metacity or compiz?
    How do you do that?
    Desktop cube? I don't know... I use Kwin...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,801

    Default

    That's a Compiz problem, not an Ubuntu one. If you run Compiz on Arch, same thing will happen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    238

    Cool

    The reason this is an invalid comparison is because Rolling release distributions encourage much more customization.
    That in turn encourages a more minimalist approach.
    So the system is "lighter", and a lighter system gives the appearance of speed.

    There is no real performance difference in separate apps/benchmarks, is because there isn't. But the system may feel faster because it is lighter.

    Also, for my one dev environment, getting Ubuntu's build tools in proper order takes longer than installing Gentoo. Different use-cases require different distributions.

    Honestly there is no such thin as a "standard recommended installation" for a rolling-release system.

    Over the many years I played with lots of distributions, the only place I found a significant difference, was with a custom-built installation of Gentoo on a Atom system (because the Intel Atom is an in-order machine, and setting the compiler to produce optimal code for that really helps).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grigi View Post
    Over the many years I played with lots of distributions, the only place I found a significant difference, was with a custom-built installation of Gentoo on a Atom system (because the Intel Atom is an in-order machine, and setting the compiler to produce optimal code for that really helps).
    How did you do that and what were the key steps? I have a very slow netbook too and I want to optimize it.
    The things that hold me back from it is that I don't think it's too clever compiling all stuff on such machine (wich of course could be worked around) and eventually my girlfriend would kill me, if nothing worked on her computer, because I simply didn't configure it till then.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The intarwebs
    Posts
    385

    Default

    You can't blame upstream. If the compiz devs won't pull the patches Ubuntu needs to behave correctly, I expect Canonical to make their own bzr branch of compiz and ship it with Ubuntu instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •