Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: 8600 gts on Linux

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Hi joshuapurcell!

    I have just upgraded my system to AMD64 and a 8600GTS and decided to use the opportunity to switch from XP to Linux (Ubunto), as I was about to spend days messing about anyway :-)

    Being a gamer held me back from switching earlier but with Gates becoming more and more obsessive about user control and the prospect of using Cedega convinced me in the end.

    I have followed your installation guide step by step and I do not think much has changed. My Ubuntu was using the "nVidia Corporation NVIDIA Default Card" and the "nv" driver before and is still doing so. I can't even find the card in the "Hardware Information", my best guess is that the entry "Unknown (0x0400)" under one of the PCI-Es refers to it.

    Both, the OpenGL and the 3D rendering tests in Cedega fail (without the screen doing as much as blinking where it should display test stuff).

    Could the problem be that the Ubuntu 7.04 in itself is unable to handle new graphic cards and that one has to wait for an update by them? If that is so, does anyone know whether any other Linux distribution can manage those cards?

    Thank you,
    Robin

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    221

    Default

    joshuapurcell's instructions are only for installing the beta driver but you need to configure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that your system uses 'nvidia' instead of 'nv'. Additionally you need to add 'glx' to your extensions. That is the minimum of steps needed to get 3d acceleration working. You should google for more detailed information on how to configure your xorg.conf or maybe someone else here can give you more information. Its quite likely you will have to set your monitor resolution manually. Hope this puts you on the right track.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven3x7 View Post
    joshuapurcell's instructions are only for installing the beta driver but you need to configure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that your system uses 'nvidia' instead of 'nv'. Additionally you need to add 'glx' to your extensions. That is the minimum of steps needed to get 3d acceleration working. You should google for more detailed information on how to configure your xorg.conf or maybe someone else here can give you more information. Its quite likely you will have to set your monitor resolution manually. Hope this puts you on the right track.
    That's absolutely right. To make this task easier use nvidia's utility
    nvidia-xconfig. It does replace your xorg.conf file, but makes a backup.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks, I will try what you've suggested (especially the "glx" bit). The nvidia-xconfig I have used before, with the result of having no monitor signal at all. But it might be worth trying again now that I have followed your instructions beforehand.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinBGH View Post
    Thanks, I will try what you've suggested (especially the "glx" bit). The nvidia-xconfig I have used before, with the result of having no monitor signal at all. But it might be worth trying again now that I have followed your instructions beforehand.
    Let us know how it turns out. From the posts above you should have the complete steps needed for getting the proprietary nvidia driver working.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Well, I have tried everything, I guess (glx, etc). Even "Envy" did not solve the problem. In the end, X never recognises my card: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:7:0:0."

    I think the reason is that the 8600GTS is just too new. I night have to wait for a couple of weeks/months until drivers are updated to support it.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinBGH View Post
    Well, I have tried everything, I guess (glx, etc). Even "Envy" did not solve the problem. In the end, X never recognises my card: "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:7:0:0."

    I think the reason is that the 8600GTS is just too new. I night have to wait for a couple of weeks/months until drivers are updated to support it.
    Yea, I read that nVidia has only released beta drivers for this card and a few others... they're appernetly releasing the full drivers in may. (Which is also when the next Xorg is set to be released).

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    221

    Default

    RobinBGH one last note. If you installed an Nvidia binary through the Ubuntu repos it might be a good idea to remove it before installing the beta drivers. Additionally im quite sure someone will make a unofficial package for the beta driver sooner or later.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Well, thanks a lot for your friendly support anyway, guys! Looks like I just have to wait for the new drivers :-)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinBGH View Post
    Well, thanks a lot for your friendly support anyway, guys! Looks like I just have to wait for the new drivers :-)
    I had to wait a couple of weeks or so for the drivers to be released for the 8800 as well. If this is the case with your card, then hopefully the wait won't be any longer than that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •