Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Appears Fragmented:

Are you suggesting that developers that are targeting Linux should just target Ubuntu instead and not care about the rest?
    Y'know, I usually don't get verbal or anything, but you sir, need to fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhick View Post
    Are you suggesting that developers that are targeting Linux should just target Ubuntu instead and not care about the rest?
    Y'know, I usually don't get verbal or anything, but you sir, need to fuck off.
    I'm suggesting that it's probable and that every browser for linux based OSes needs to make it *the* top priority to identify its host operating system correctly so we can know for sure, even if that means running uname on first run.

And not FOSS developers, I'm talking about like, Adobe Photoshop and Steam and AutoCAD and what have you.

This is a stupid idea, and I'm glad you got the answer you deserved in the first of your 'bug' reports.

Indeed. The less data that's revealed the better; it's quite enough for them to know it's Linux.

Also, only debs for binary software: what Zhick said. Tarballs work everywhere, debs are extra trouble for everyone not on a deb distro.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    http://images.cheezburger.com/comple...7850293860.png

..and then game publishers use 'fragmentation' as an excuse to give us .run, .bin, .tar.gz, .sh, .tar.bz2 and .py files instead of actual proper .deb's, which irritates me to no end.

I want this question answered with hard statistical facts, and the only way to do it is to file bugs on every browser package in every linux based desktop that doesn't identify itself and its host correctly and with sufficient detail. I'm not going to set about doing that without help. Who's with me?
    'proper debs'? Fuck no. Proper tar.gz please. Even better, tar.bz2.

Ubuntu is just a fad. As was debian for a while. As was Mandrake for a while. Fads come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    I'm suggesting that it's probable and that every browser for linux based OSes needs to make it *the* top priority to identify its host operating system correctly so we can know for sure, even if that means running uname on first run.
    they do. They report 'Linux'. Not gentoo. Or Slackware. Just 'Linux':

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/4.4; Linux) KHTML/4.4.3 (like Gecko)

so whatever behind those numbers are pulled from - browser identification is never a good metric. But as I said, ubuntu is just a fad. It will go away, just like all other fads.

You should switch to Ubuntu, use Alien to convert the .deb files provided by vendors, or, like I've been doing with Windows software, boycott.
    No.

You should learn to untar a .tgz, or you should bother Ubuntu to do their job and provide debs for you.

This thread is ridiculous.

Ubuntu is just a fad. As was debian for a while.
    I have to disagree. Debian is certainly not a fad, but one of the longest lasting and most dependable distributions out there.