Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: IntelCentrino with 855GM with new distros - X freeze after logon

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default IntelCentrino with 855GM with new distros - X freeze after logon

    I'v got problem with my old Centrino notebook ( 855GM ) with last distros (Mandriva,OpenSuse,Ubuntu). Notebook "freeze" after 2-5 sec after logon to X.
    Problem was due to combination with newer kernel and intel drivers used in this new distros ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27187 ).
    Solution : downgrade your kernel to last working kernel ( 2.6.30.X ) For now it's 2.6.30.10 and compile 2.7.1 xf86-video-intel driver ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...-2.7.1.tar.bz2 ). Don't use KMS as default (in kernel, let them as module ). Another problem with this solution is with DRM ( http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting ). DRM is not working when module drm is loaded before intel_agp ! Compile intel_agp into kernel or ( better ) compile as module, but you have to load intel_agp before drm !!!! ( Use /etc/modprobe.preload and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist ... :-) ). If you don't have modules agpgart,intel_agp,drm and i915 in ramdisk, use mkinitrd -f --with=agpgart --with=intel_agp --with=drm --with=i915 /boot/"ramdisk" "your_kernel_version"
    Maybe it help. Excuse me my bad english.
    P.S: In future maybe it will be good ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27187 )

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ivonovak View Post
    I'v got problem with my old Centrino notebook ( 855GM ) with last distros (Mandriva,OpenSuse,Ubuntu). Notebook "freeze" after 2-5 sec after logon to X.
    Problem was due to combination with newer kernel and intel drivers used in this new distros ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27187 ).
    Solution : downgrade your kernel to last working kernel ( 2.6.30.X ) For now it's 2.6.30.10 and compile 2.7.1 xf86-video-intel driver ( http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...-2.7.1.tar.bz2 ). Don't use KMS as default (in kernel, let them as module ). Another problem with this solution is with DRM ( http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting ). DRM is not working when module drm is loaded before intel_agp ! Compile intel_agp into kernel or ( better ) compile as module, but you have to load intel_agp before drm !!!! ( Use /etc/modprobe.preload and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist ... :-) ). If you don't have modules agpgart,intel_agp,drm and i915 in ramdisk, use mkinitrd -f --with=agpgart --with=intel_agp --with=drm --with=i915 /boot/"ramdisk" "your_kernel_version"
    Maybe it help. Excuse me my bad english.
    P.S: In future maybe it will be good ( http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27187 )
    I've been tracking phornix posts for a while, and reading yours prompted me to join. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 7400M with tn Intel 855GM and it has this problem. I currently have left it running openSUSE-11.1 with the 2.6.27 kernel, as openSUSE-11.2 with the 2.6.31 kernel does not run on it.

    I note there is a claimed fix here:
    Code:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24789
    This fix is, I believe, too new to find its way into any Linux distribution yet.

    However since this is my 1st post on this forum, the above URL may not make it pass the necessary spam filters.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I've been tracking phornix posts for a while, and reading yours prompted me to join. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 7400M with tn Intel 855GM and it has this problem. I currently have left it running openSUSE-11.1 with the 2.6.27 kernel, as openSUSE-11.2 with the 2.6.31 kernel does not run on it.

    I note there is a claimed fix here:
    Code:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=24789
    This fix is, I believe, too new to find its way into any Linux distribution yet.
    A further clarification ... its difficult (for me) to wade my way through the massive number of posts made trying to get to the bottom of this, but as near as I can determine, bug report 24789 in turn refers to post#61 in bug report 26345
    Code:
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26345#c61
    where that post has the purported fix. .... The subsequent problems noted when using that patch appear to be other possibly unrelated problems.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    12

    Default More information on this ...

    Another forum has picked up on this here (in this case the problem reported on Fedora): http://www.linux.com/community/forum...25&id=5462 Note the 2nd reply post to that thread.

    An openSUSE thread on this issue here: http://forums.opensuse.org/get-help-...-them-too.html

    With a proposed fix here (for Ubuntu)
    https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/855gm-fix and a proposed Ubuntu liveCD here with this fix in place: http://glasen-hardt.de/?p=568 ..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    With a proposed fix here (for Ubuntu)
    https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/855gm-fix and a proposed Ubuntu liveCD here with this fix in place: http://glasen-hardt.de/?p=568 ..
    Further to this ... the above link to a Ubuntu community live CD is for testing, not a main release. It appears to have incorporated the fix-i8xx-gtt-cache-coherency.patch, which is noted from here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27187#c158

    ... I recommend users with i855GM hardware download it, try it, and post your results / problems (if any) on same thread. It worked well with my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M7400 with i855GM graphics. I am contributing to the seeding of this, although downloads have been few.

    The general consensus (from my experience and what I have read in bug reports and forum posts) is the drm-intel-big-hammer.patch, while an improvement for some, was not enough, and the above mentioned fix-i8xx-gtt-cache-coherency.patch is hoped to be better (see comment #31 in this bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26345 ).

    But the fix-i8xx-gtt-cache-coherency.patch is still under going testing and has not been submitted to the linus git tree as near as I can determine from reading.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •