Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How VIA Could Have Not Screwed Its Linux Chances

Default How VIA Could Have Not Screwed Its Linux Chances

Phoronix: How VIA Could Have Not Screwed Its Linux Chances

Yesterday we reported on how VIA's open-source Linux dreams are not materializing and then this morning reported on a new secret driver being developed (xf86-video-openvia) between VIA Technologies, some VIA "friends", and the OpenChrome developers. However, as I said in this morning's VIA article, the situation is still a murky mess, this new OpenVIA driver isn't receiving much work, the DRM code with TTM/GEM memory management is still missing, and these open-source efforts by VIA are not very well organized...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI4Mw

A very constructive article, good work. Hopefully some bosses at VIA will read this. Let's hope it helps.

i think the NDA is abaut the via-DX11 hardware

via do not try to get opensource drivers for the past hardware dx9 and dx10.1

via try to get DX11 hardware with only opensource drivers like intels IGPs..

VIA do not have the manpower to get a new driver for an old product.

thats it! just wait for the DirectX11/openGL4 based VIA hardware and you will see a opensource driver!

VIA just doesn't work as hard as would-be-winners are supposed to work, if they're so passive I say let them continue fading away with their tiny market share.

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i think the NDA is abaut the via-DX11 hardware

via do not try to get opensource drivers for the past hardware dx9 and dx10.1

via try to get DX11 hardware with only opensource drivers like intels IGPs..

VIA do not have the manpower to get a new driver for an old product.

thats it! just wait for the DirectX11/openGL4 based VIA hardware and you will see a opensource driver!
    No, NDAs are being used for old documents and such right now. It's been that way already for a number of months.

Default Community

It seems to me that they are just following the 10 steps to destroy your community (also on video).

Very good article Phoronix!

How about via just go and die off already?? They're just getting squeezed by intel with atom on the high end and by arm with cortex on the low end.

There was a Via news post @ Fudzilla today, about 100$ tablets with Via ARM chips. On Android, saidly.

So they are seeing to new markets; now if they just read this article

FWIW, their binary drivers probably share a lot of code with the windows drivers which makes them hard to open since some of the IP probably isn't theirs to release.