Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,788

    Default Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

    Phoronix: Intel, Nokia's MeeGo Linux Hits Version 1.0

    Back in February, the Moblin and Maemo projects from Intel and Nokia, respectively, made love and out came MeeGo. The two industry players had joined forces to come up with what they feel is the best Linux platform for mobile devices ranging from netbooks to in-vehicle information systems. Version 1.0 of the MeeGo Core Software Platform has been released today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI5MA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    768

    Default

    cool.

    I doubt it'll work, but I'll see if it can be run on VirtualBox.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    768

    Default

    oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,103

    Default

    Wow, that was fast. Can't wait for the Phoronix review.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    How scaleable are these anyway? We got a decent set of platforms now, but they are all tailored towards super high end phones. This typically means, huge form factor, really bad battery time, and super slow startup time, and an annoying touchscreen.

    I'm still looking to pick up simplistic phones, but i wouldn't mind beeing able to wrap up a custom program, and some freedom on how it displays and works.
    There doesn't seem to be anything like that, such phones i like use custom operating systems.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micket View Post
    How scaleable are these anyway? We got a decent set of platforms now, but they are all tailored towards super high end phones. This typically means, huge form factor, really bad battery time, and super slow startup time, and an annoying touchscreen.

    I'm still looking to pick up simplistic phones, but i wouldn't mind beeing able to wrap up a custom program, and some freedom on how it displays and works.
    There doesn't seem to be anything like that, such phones i like use custom operating systems.
    J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calica View Post
    J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.
    Ultimately locked to just beeing able to make another app/game accessed from the menu, which i find extremely uninteresting.
    I'm more interested in passive applications, typically changing the behaviour of the phone itself.

    I find that most phones are shit when it comes to displaying information quickly. I want to know what week it is, what date it is, how much money i have left right there on the front screen.
    More like customizing the OS rather than writing stand alone applications.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
    Unless it's a late-model Athlon-64 or newer, no.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
    Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.
    The Meego web site says the x86 version requires SSE3; you could presumably recompile for older CPUs but I doubt there's any point to doing so... the primary market would be Atoms. which have SSE3.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •