Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Catalyst 10.5 For Linux Is Out: Nothing Exciting

okey.
    i rebooted and now i dont have any 3d acceleration anymore.
    tried using aticonfig --initial -f
    didnt help.
    my vender and renderer strings are empty.
    any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    @monraaf

Did you try tesselation with Unigine 2.1 yet? I would like to see all benches with tess disabled and the 3 quality settings benched against the old ati only tess hack.
    Tessellation is working. I did only a quick test. I think it's about 50% drop in fps. But I only have a 45W energy efficient CPU and currently using my system for other things. So it's not a very good benchmark machine .

Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    okey.
    i rebooted and now i dont have any 3d acceleration anymore.
    tried using aticonfig --initial -f
    didnt help.
    my vender and renderer strings are empty.
    any ideas?
    ok fixed it.
    was to dumb to remove the fglrx package first.

Is there a way to disable OGL4.0 on supported cards? I ask, because with OGL4.0 Heroes of Newerth won't start anymore as with the OGL4.0 preview driver. On the HoN forum, I was told, that there may be a bug in one of the OGL functions, that causes HoN to seg fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfanne View Post
    guildwars now crashes for me and has some weird looking bugs in the character selection menu
    do your 3d games flicker too, if you use a virtualdesktop in wine?
    ok the crashes and the bugs where due to me setting catalyst A.I. to advanced.
    but does anyone here encounter the flickering issue when using an emulated virtual desktop in wine?
    for some reason the emulated desktop doesnt end up beeing redirected.

Eve Online via Wine 1.2rc1

Game is now almost playable with all graphics options turned down. There's cursor corruption whenever you mouse over anything (white box). The game no longer crashes or locks the machine (5 minutes of play)

Turning up the graphics options (HDR, all dropdowns to highest) completely locks the machine (Radeon 5770).

So a big step forward, and a couple baby steps back. We might even be able to play Eve in 6 months.

Frank

"nothing exciting" ?

you gotta be kidding

"fixed" problems with 10.5 compared to 10.2-10.4 on my Gentoo system:
    - no libGL.so.1.2 error 7 problem anymore with opengl accelerated apps & compositing
    - no problem of broken downclocking (high temperatures and thus noise) from 10.4 compared to the 10.4pre-release of Ubuntu Lucid

so after 10.1 finally another working catalyst / fglrx release

with

- working compositing
    - opengl

yay !

thank you - thank you - thank you SO MUCH

AMD/ATI devs & especially to John Bridgman who seemingly must have read my bothering questions and posts and forwarded the information

I can't take any credit for this one

I suspect what you're seeing is all of the different bits (OpenGL 4, Lucid support, something else I forget) coming together in a single tree for the first time. Anyways, nice to see it working well.

I'm very disappointed. I came here expecting to find the usual high-intensity bashing that accompanies every new FGLRX, and all I see is some lukewarm jabs about features that don't apply to the wide population, anyway.

Come on guys...where's the venom? Do we have to get Gordboy back on to give lessons? This is FGLRX after all. Let's try harder.

Awesome! I updated and (after breaking things [remove old ati driver from hardware drivers first]) wine is working much better!

Vice city no longer crashes after cut-scenes making it fully playable!
    Fallout 3 no longer crashes (not tested too much) and get a much better framerate (still not as good as windows but it's actually playable now!

and opengl 4 and working tessellation unigine heaven, now that I've seen it first hand I can say it (tessellation) is overhyped but kind of cool. I get an about ~22 fps instead of ~30 at 1024x768 everything max except no AA, on an HD 5770.

Nothing Exciting?! you mean Lots Exciting!
    (unless you are comparing to the unstable build which I didn't try)