Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minetest 0.4.11 Released As Open-Source Alternative To Minecraft

Default Minetest 0.4.11 Released As Open-Source Alternative To Minecraft

Phoronix: Minetest 0.4.11 Released As Open-Source Alternative To Minecraft

Minetest 0.4.11 was released today as the latest version of this popular open-source game alternative to the extremely popular Minecraft game...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg3MzM

A FLOSS counterpart of Minecraft is what should be used by the Raspberry Pi instead of adding Minecraft.
    Would be great if the Minetest project got more attention, development.
    Would be packaged and size optimised to be included as a default game on distro's that are casual gamer user oriented together with Supertuxkart, card games, other simple games,...

Mythrunia is another wonderful project, seems to have been inactive for quite a while:
    http://mythruna.com/

Does it have creeps or survival mode yet?

My kid was expecting it at night and got bored that nothing came to his built shelter.

It's great that we have such a nice, fast alternative version. Unfortunately, this won't satisfy real Minecraft players until it has all the features of Minecraft, and maybe even full compatibility with Minecraft LAN worlds, servers, and Realms. I know I can't really play it for long without wanting the original back. That's just the way it is making a remake of a very popular game.

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post

My kid was expecting it at night and got bored that nothing came to his built shelter.
    The Mobf modpack provides that.

Back in the pre-1.0 days, there used to be alternative clients that actually were compatible with the official server but they quickly fell behind.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefreeman View Post
    It's great that we have such a nice, fast alternative version. Unfortunately, this won't satisfy real Minecraft players until it has all the features of Minecraft, and maybe even full compatibility with Minecraft LAN worlds, servers, and Realms. I know I can't really play it for long without wanting the original back. That's just the way it is making a remake of a very popular game.
    It is possible to convert part of Minecraft worlds to Minetest, with the help of MCEdit (which is a free/libre map editor for Minecraft): https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6007

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post

You can find mods that add mobs on the Mod Releases forum: https://forum.minetest.net/viewforum.php?f=11

Is this game different enough from Minecraft to be legal?
    Fedora AFAIK does not allow game clones for fear of legal problems.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Mat2 View Post
    Is this game different enough from Minecraft to be legal?
    Fedora AFAIK does not allow game clones for fear of legal problems.
    Not even legal, but moral? I'm all for FOSS, but if the Minecraft devs choose not to release their code as open source and freely available, that is their right.

The FOSS community should focus its efforts on making original, unique, and superior counterparts to desired software instead of blindly and unimaginatively copying whatever project it is they like. Most of the "best" and most polished FOSS software available (Inkscape, the GNOME project, Dolphin, Blender, Ardour) don't exist as direct clones, but instead compete on their own merits in their "market". If someone made a commercially successful but proprietary clone of Gnome there would be uproar and death threats. Don't commercial devs deserve the same respect as we demand for ourselves?
    Last edited by Akdor 1154; 12-27-2014 at 09:13 PM.