Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

Ubuntu's longstanding policy of not pulling in new major versions of packages into their stable repositories is facing a slight change. Canonical along with the Ubuntu development community have been making it easier to deploy Mozilla Firefox web-browser updates into existing Ubuntu releases...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODMwNw

Finally... This is one of my biggest annoyances with Ubuntu! Part of the reasons that I usually run the developer releases is because of it having the newer version.

Quote Originally Posted by srg_13 View Post
    Finally... This is one of my biggest annoyances with Ubuntu! Part of the reasons that I usually run the developer releases is because of it having the newer version.
    https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+...firefox-stable

Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    whole KDE SC has point releases which mostly bug fix but sometimes also add some things ...

Not including them was always stupid to me and now FF gets an exeption...

Time for kubuntu devs to think about the same policy for point releases of KDE
    They even announce this on kubuntu.org whenever there's a point release:
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa

Pretty much every major package has a ppa.. you can run as bleeding-edge as you like.

It was about time...

Can this extend to newer versions of other non-critical packages as well, e.g. Pidgin?

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    Can this extend to newer versions of other non-critical packages as well, e.g. Pidgin?
    This policy is specific to Firefox at the moment (and also Chromium), due to the way their support models work. There is no need to apply the same policy to other software that doesn't present the same maintenance challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by anbog
    Does this mean that Lucid will upgrade to Firefox 4.0 when it is released, or wait until Mozilla drops support for the 3.6.x series?
    Lucid will get Firefox 4.0 as 3.6.x approaches EOL

Quote Originally Posted by chrisccoulson View Post
    Are You sure? Then why Fx 3.6.4 is going to be pulled into not only Lucid, but also Hardy, Jaunty and Karmic? After all, Karmic uses Fx 3.5; it's still supported and will be for a couple of months...

I really hope Canonical will upgrade Fx major versions asap, not when approaching EOL. BTW, it would be also easier for them to maintain (one Fx version for all systems).

So, again - are You sure?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisccoulson View Post
    This policy is specific to Firefox at the moment (and also Chromium), due to the way their support models work. There is no need to apply the same policy to other software that doesn't present the same maintenance challenges.

Since FFox 3.6.3 is buggy as a wasps_nest ... and about as friendly, who cares how quickly it updates? It's kinda like the rest of LL_10.04 ... every update destroys another piece of working function. UP->down ... back-> forth. Slither sidewayz. From one web_surf to the next you really don't what or know how disfunctional the browser will be.

Mebby it's time for M$ to buythemout and (*TM) make-stuff-work !

Quote Originally Posted by jaxjoe View Post
    Since FFox 3.6.3 is buggy as a wasps_nest ... (...) every update destroys another piece of working function.
    I haven't experienced such behaviour, all works perfectly (apart from keywords for default search engines which get erased after each update). Maybe uninstall ubufox package, it can make a lot of mess...

If major updates will be performed only after the product goes EOL, I'm a bit disappointed...

Why not do it with all software and stop releasing new versions of Ubuntu each 6 months. Of course kernel updates shouldn't be installed automatically and should be marked as optional.

They could still release a new Ubuntu every year, to update the artwork and other trademark changes.