Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux is not ready for Steam

First it does not support true software mixing - it cannot mix streams of different bitrate and frequency, so if one is playing 44kHz and other starts 22kHz only second is played.
    Can't reproduce. Just generated a 22kHz chirp in Audacity, it played just fine without interrupting my music.

the last time I tried OSSv4 it so compeletly fucked up my soundcard that I had to turn off the computer. Thank you very much ossv4.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    the last time I tried OSSv4 it so compeletly fucked up my soundcard that I had to turn off the computer. Thank you very much ossv4.
    Which distro?

OSSv4. Last time I read about it, it had no support for suspend/resume. So it's not really an option for me.

This fix should be made default before adoption to fix the suspend/resume issue.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...nd_Hibernation

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

if [ [ $EUID -ne 0 ] ]; then
     ## Checking if you are a root or not
       echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
       exit 1
     fi

s2ram -f

sleep 2

/etc/rc.d/oss restart 2>/tmp/oss.txt

if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
     echo "OSS restart failed check /tmp/oss.txt for advice"
     fi

exit 0

That's not a fix, that's a hack. Suspend/resume must be properly supported by OSSv4 and the drivers itself.

Quote Originally Posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
    Which distro?
    gentoo. But this is not a distro issue. Sound worked - until suddenly everything turned into garbage. I tried restarting oss - no help. Removed the modules. Nothing. Rebooted. Still only loud noise. Shut down, did a save reboot, removed OSSv4, used alsa again: perfect sound.

Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    gentoo. But this is not a distro issue. Sound worked - until suddenly everything turned into garbage. I tried restarting oss - no help. Removed the modules. Nothing. Rebooted. Still only loud noise. Shut down, did a save reboot, removed OSSv4, used alsa again: perfect sound.
    Try oss-devel from this overlay. My friend installed it today and he was really impressed. The regular oss package didn't work well for him though.

http://gentoo-overlays.zugaina.org/o.../index.html.en

These problems would likely be solved if OSSv4 is pushed directly into portage. It needs testing and exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    That's not a fix, that's a hack. Suspend/resume must be properly supported by OSSv4 and the drivers itself.
    I agree. This issue needs to be fixed before it is made default in any distribution.

In any case, ALSA is way too complicated to be properly wrapped and extended. This is why PulseAudio was created in the first place.

OSSv4 is a much simpler API and would be much easier to extend and maintain. We wouldn't have to resort to high-level abstraction to add the features that users want. In any case, I believe OSSv4 needs a bit of work to add a few features needed by general users, such as the suspend/resume and hardware MIDI.

I believe OSSv4, with a bit of work, would be a much more soild foundation for Linux audio. However, until it is ready, it should be a choice not a default.

As most games use openal and that supports alsa or some other older games use sdl as abstraction layer why does the api matter? You can compile newer libs or just use the prebuild ones which come with the distro (a bit compilicated on 64 maybe). if the names are different just use a few symlinks. For other games like et there are already alsa wrappers - needed for maverick anyway.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=362231

So basically i don't see your huge problem...