Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,805

    Default Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released

    While to many it feels like Ubuntu 10.04 was just released yesterday (in reality it's been out for one month), the first alpha release of Ubuntu 10.10 (a.k.a. the Maverick Meerkat) has been released...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODMxOA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,132

    Default

    I have it running right now. It really moves into the right direction. All the tasks a user wants to do have been somehow possible in the past, but now they really focus on the quality of the software and the application's performance. Shotwell replacing F-Spot, Pitivi gaining important functionality, Gwibber performance improvements, new icon theme, more work on the application indicators (including a new replacement for the old behaving networkmanager), new default font, important software center improvements and because of a non LTS release, uptodate with Xorg/Kernel/Mesa again. This will be one hell of a release.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I have it running right now. It really moves into the right direction. All the tasks a user wants to do have been somehow possible in the past, but now they really focus on the quality of the software and the application's performance. Shotwell replacing F-Spot,
    So I presume that with F-Spot gone Tomboy and that stupid game are now the sole users of the whole Mono runtime. Looks like some serious waste of precious CD-ROM space... Especially since Gnote would be an excellent replacement for Tomboy.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Slow news day?

    I've been playing with it for a few days too, but I don't think this is the kind of "release" that should be advertised outside of the development community. I mean, we're still half a month from the feature definition freeze.

    The ffmpeg extras packages are in a broken state, encrypted home directory creation is broken, non-Qt apps are opening icon sized windows everywhere under KDE4.4, etc... this is for serious testers/devs not the kind of thing you want to make random noobs aware of lest they might actually install it and start whining.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    this is for serious testers/devs not the kind of thing you want to make random noobs aware of lest they might actually install it and start whining.
    The download page explicitly states that this release is not for anyone who needs a stable system. I doubt anyone who can't be bothered to read that would read Phoronix.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waucka View Post
    The download page explicitly states that this release is not for anyone who needs a stable system. I doubt anyone who can't be bothered to read that would read Phoronix.
    I'm afraid that some people wandering to this site for the first time are typical consumers just now exploring Linux. They will not necessarily know how big the difference is between an alpha and a RC (which always have a similar warning); most will just assume newer=better.

    You and I know that the warning means "serious-breakage ahead", but noobs will have no clue given the light and unforboding tone of this article.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Revised headline : "Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released, but it might destroy your system, kill your cat or ruin your life".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Revised headline : "Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" Alpha 1 Released, but it might destroy your system, kill your cat or ruin your life".
    You forgot "eats your children". Please revise.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Now Ubuntu 10.10 has been released does that mean no more lovely graphs of 10.04 (now that it's old)

    (jk btw)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    more work on the application indicators (including a new replacement for the old behaving networkmanager)
    What's the replacement for network-manager called? I still have both n-m and nm-applet running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •