Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

Hybrid View

Default AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

Apologizes that the monthly Catalyst release news is not near-instantaneous as usual as I had been getting back from Germany for LinuxTag and other business, but Catalyst 10.6 was released today. This June update actually brings some notable changes unlike releases found in the past few months...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODM0Mg

Let's hope it works on Kubuntu 10.04. For the past few releases I can't get the fglrx drivers working. They simply crash xorg or KDE, just before KDM starts.

Linux is the future of gaming as it will be taking gaming to the mobile device through various companies. Windows 7 mobile no one wants. Apple is already using linux based products.

So ATI is crazy if they think thy can ignore Linux and being fundamental to their future.

Quote Originally Posted by 0e8h View Post
    Linux is the future of gaming as it will be taking gaming to the mobile device through various companies. Windows 7 mobile no one wants. Apple is already using linux based products.

So ATI is crazy if they think thy can ignore Linux and being fundamental to their future.
    Apple OSes are *NOT* based on Linux kernel. They started from a Unix kernel (Mach). And, more important, the graphical layer has nothing to do with X, so developing games for Linux or MacOSX is a different pair of shoes

Quote Originally Posted by TeoLinuX View Post
    And, more important, the graphical layer has nothing to do with X, so developing games for Linux or MacOSX is a different pair of shoes
    Yes, but except basic window management (read: set window to fullscreen) and some input handling you don't interact with X as game developer.
    And OpenGL is the same - everywhere

- Clemens

I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glock24 View Post
    I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.
    I have the same problem (Arch x86_64, XMonad) but it happens only in Firefox.

Soooo... why does ATI's download page still show 10.5 in two places, and 10.3 in the "name" column?

Until I see a "Source games don't randomly lock the desktop when run under Wine", I'm not even going to try re-installing my HD5870.

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Soooo... why does ATI's download page still show 10.5 in two places, and 10.3 in the "name" column?

Until I see a "Source games don't randomly lock the desktop when run under Wine", I'm not even going to try re-installing my HD5870.
    I played Portal just fine this morning after installing 10.6, and I have a 5850 (currently running Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.2-rc3 with Compiz disabled, since I can't be bothered re-enabling it each time after a reboot).

Using a such peremptory tone is risky, especially when you're talking about something you don't know very well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuartz