Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Ahh, OK. Running aticonfig is a standard part of the install procedure (see install instructions); without it, Bad Things sometimes happen.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default

    How is the dual monitor performance? I don't know how others feel, but I have totally been satisfied with the open-source drivers doing regular desktop stuff

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Managua, Nicaragua
    Posts
    83

    Default

    I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

    I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glock24 View Post
    I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

    I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.
    I have the same problem (Arch x86_64, XMonad) but it happens only in Firefox.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    glock24, FallenWizard, can you confirm that disabling the new 2D accel code eliminates the artifacts :

    aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

    (run as root or sudo, with X *not* running)

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Works for me on a 5870 !
    Mandriva

    Pete.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    glock24, FallenWizard, can you confirm that disabling the new 2D accel code eliminates the artifacts :

    aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

    (run as root or sudo, with X *not* running)
    bridgman, I'd like to make sure this (artifacts in thunderbird and firefox) bug gets reported to the developers, even though ati.cchtml.com isn't letting me setup an account. Can you pass this bug along?

    Adam

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    glock24, FallenWizard, can you confirm that disabling the new 2D accel code eliminates the artifacts :

    aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

    (run as root or sudo, with X *not* running)
    After using this command the black boxes are gone.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FallenWizard View Post
    After using this command the black boxes are gone.
    Thanks !

    Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    bridgman, I'd like to make sure this (artifacts in thunderbird and firefox) bug gets reported to the developers, even though ati.cchtml.com isn't letting me setup an account. Can you pass this bug along?
    Will do.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Managua, Nicaragua
    Posts
    83

    Default

    bridgman, I can confirm the artifacts are gone here too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •