Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 10.6 For Linux Brings Changes

Ahh, OK. Running aticonfig is a standard part of the install procedure (see install instructions); without it, Bad Things sometimes happen.

How is the dual monitor performance? I don't know how others feel, but I have totally been satisfied with the open-source drivers doing regular desktop stuff

I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glock24 View Post
    I have a Mobility 4650, I'm using KDE 4.4.4 on Archlinux. Since installing the Catalyst 10.6 I get lots of artifacts, specially on firefox and thunderbird (black window content). Enabling desktop effects (compositing) reduces the artifacts, but does not eliminate them.

I usually have desktop effects disabled, as I see no use for them other than eye candy. Also, window resizing was painfully slow with compositing enabled, but now with 10.6 it's fast.
    I have the same problem (Arch x86_64, XMonad) but it happens only in Firefox.

glock24, FallenWizard, can you confirm that disabling the new 2D accel code eliminates the artifacts :

aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

(run as root or sudo, with X *not* running)

Works for me on a 5870 !
    Mandriva

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    glock24, FallenWizard, can you confirm that disabling the new 2D accel code eliminates the artifacts :

bridgman, I'd like to make sure this (artifacts in thunderbird and firefox) bug gets reported to the developers, even though ati.cchtml.com isn't letting me setup an account. Can you pass this bug along?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post

After using this command the black boxes are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWizard View Post
    After using this command the black boxes are gone.
    Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by adamk View Post
    bridgman, I'd like to make sure this (artifacts in thunderbird and firefox) bug gets reported to the developers, even though ati.cchtml.com isn't letting me setup an account. Can you pass this bug along?
    Will do.

bridgman, I can confirm the artifacts are gone here too.