Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Where An Open ATI Driver Beats The Catalyst Driver

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,471

    Default Where An Open ATI Driver Beats The Catalyst Driver

    Phoronix: Where An Open ATI Driver Beats The Catalyst Driver

    A number of weeks back a set of benchmarks were published showing even the latest open-source ATI 3D driver is still no match to an old Catalyst driver and that even Gallium3D lags behind the Catalyst driver for those interested in OpenGL gaming. However, in other areas the open-source ATI driver stack is beginning to win by measurable amounts.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15031

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default I believe it

    The high-definition playback of the open-source drivers has been fantastic for me using Ubuntu Lucid. It seems like it has improved a little every few months. I don't experience any of the tears and slowdowns I did before.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I also like how the open source Radeon driver also has a higher resolution for the text modes. FGLRX looks like it uses 40x40 text cols. I feel like I'm starting a BBC Acorn Computer, not a modern linux system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    When using the XvBA + VA-API combination for the proprietary Catalyst driver, the CPU usage had only fallen to 95%. Looking at the MPlayer output had shown that libva/VA-API was being used, but whether it's a bug in Catalyst 10.6
    I confirm this, on my ati hd4350 using fglrx 10.5 i experienced a considerable CPU reduction on 720p and 1080p h264 videos. Now with 10.6 it seems that video acceleration is not working correctly and I observe the same behaviour (no cpu usage reduction).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0e8h View Post
    I also like how the open source Radeon driver also has a higher resolution for the text modes. FGLRX looks like it uses 40x40 text cols. I feel like I'm starting a BBC Acorn Computer, not a modern linux system.
    Acorn. You mean the early model of the arm processor.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0e8h View Post
    I also like how the open source Radeon driver also has a higher resolution for the text modes. FGLRX looks like it uses 40x40 text cols. I feel like I'm starting a BBC Acorn Computer, not a modern linux system.
    That's a direct result of KMS (only found in open-source drivers, not fglrx or nvidia). You can increase the text-mode resolution on closed-source drivers but they tend to be too slow for that (especially on nvidia cards).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackStar View Post
    That's a direct result of KMS (only found in open-source drivers, not fglrx or nvidia). You can increase the text-mode resolution on closed-source drivers but they tend to be too slow for that (especially on nvidia cards).
    Looks real professional having the higher text resolution.

    It makes the start up mode also high res. Not sure if this is VESA emulation on the Radeon card or some other video mode.

    I noticed when you build a kernel you can set the resolution. Is that what you mean by KMS? Is the module setting these values as it docks into the kernel?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    /home/$USER
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 0e8h View Post
    Looks real professional having the higher text resolution.

    It makes the start up mode also high res. Not sure if this is VESA emulation on the Radeon card or some other video mode.

    I noticed when you build a kernel you can set the resolution. Is that what you mean by KMS? Is the module setting these values as it docks into the kernel?
    No, that's for a framebuffer. If you want KMS, go to Device Drivers -> Graphics Support -> Direct Rendering Manager Support -> ATI Radeon ->[*] Enable modesetting in radeon by default - NEW DRIVER

    in your kernel config on a recent kernel.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MU_Engineer View Post
    No, that's for a framebuffer. If you want KMS, go to Device Drivers -> Graphics Support -> Direct Rendering Manager Support -> ATI Radeon ->[*] Enable modesetting in radeon by default - NEW DRIVER

    in your kernel config on a recent kernel.
    Thanks for the reply. Will try out your instructions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,598

    Default

    Maybe you should have asked gb or me before doing that test or take a look at the description at the end of my script:

    http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mplayer-vaapi-latest.txt

    Please delete your test results and retest. You do NOT need to disable vdpau when you compile the vaapi patched mplayer, i never do that and it can be used easyly for comparision.

    Instead of -vc overrides (even for vdpau due to the used mplayer-vdpau.patch) you need to use

    VAAPI: -va vaapi -vo vaapi
    VDPAU: -va vdpau -vo vdpau
    XV: -vo xv

    When you do it correctly you might see wrong decoded h264 l5.1 files, but up to l4.1 it should work. You can test VC1 too, that has got no glitches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •