Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Linux Game Publishing: "We Are Very Much Alive"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,836

    Default Linux Game Publishing: "We Are Very Much Alive"

    Phoronix: Linux Game Publishing: "We Are Very Much Alive"

    Over the night on Phoronix an article was published entitled Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software? Linux Game Publishing has been around since 2001 when Loki Software had collapsed, but in recent months LGP has been eerily quiet, has stopped responding to inquiries from customers and other Linux gamers, and their only announced game ports are titles they began working on back in 2002 and 2003. This had led many to worry and wonder whether LGP is dead...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODM2MA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Yanno, Michael, if you'd waited a smidge to see if Simms would have responded or if I could get something out of people on my end, you'd have avoided this whole boondoggle and had a better piece of news to report, I think.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    833

    Default

    That has been definitely a rushed news post. More quality, less hype next time?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Just an idea. I think goodoldgames.com could really benefit from starting to port their catalog to Linux (or at least making them as Wine friendly as possible), especially with Steam entering Linux too. Could there be some sort of partnership between LGP and gog to do this?

    A man can dream...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default

    This is just another set of FUD that seems to be spawning at Phoronix amarite?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPalin View Post
    Just an idea. I think goodoldgames.com could really benefit from starting to port their catalog to Linux (or at least making them as Wine friendly as possible), especially with Steam entering Linux too. Could there be some sort of partnership between LGP and gog to do this?

    A man can dream...
    It's being worked on... They've expressed an interest in providing support (and sales SKUs) for Linux, even if it just means doing clean bundlings of DOSBox and WINE installs for much of it (since many of the titles are "frozen in time" with no source code available...)- but they didn't have the resources at the last time the subject was broached.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rovanion View Post
    This is just another set of FUD that seems to be spawning at Phoronix amarite?
    Nahh... He was reporting on the FUD and could've waited a bit for the better angle on the "story" in question.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    It's being worked on... They've expressed an interest in providing support (and sales SKUs) for Linux, even if it just means doing clean bundlings of DOSBox and WINE installs for much of it (since many of the titles are "frozen in time" with no source code available...)- but they didn't have the resources at the last time the subject was broached.
    Very glad to hear,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPalin View Post
    Very glad to hear,
    Do keep in mind that it might not be LGP doing the work, though. Just hold that there might be something like what you mentioned happening down the line at some point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    If anything, the article got fast response...
    Still good thing to know they're around.
    Oh and, loved the sarcasm about Slashdot's entry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •