Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Whoops, X.Org Server 1.9 Gets Another RC Today

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    The rational thing to do is:

    write to nvidia-devs that mioverlay will be depreciated next release and tell them to remove dependencies till then.

    That gives Nvidia time to react

    Gives the X developers their freedom

    and won't bother any Users.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    82

    Default

    The real question is, what's the point of removing the mioverlay code? It's not NVIDIA-specific (even though only NVIDIA currently uses it), and overlays are used all the time by high-end workstation types. Just because it's not used by the other drivers doesn't mean it's not useful.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    @muggins,
    Since when is fglrx part of X.org's driver stack? Tear free video works just right now my hd3200 without fglrx and evergreen is the newest card which is not supported yet. And then that stupid list with Glide and Voodoo cards. Raise your hands if your 20yo GPU is not dead yet. Also none of these cards have been sold since the start of this freaking millenium.

    Stop being full of shit, man...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    @muggins,
    Since when is fglrx part of X.org's driver stack?
    I never said it was. It doesn't take a brain surgin to know that they shouldn't unnecessarily break either fglrx or nVidia's blob though.


    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Tear free video works just right now my hd3200 without fglrx and evergreen is the newest card which is not supported yet.
    Don't you understand that some people need to use fglrx? When they do, do you suggest that they reconfigure their machines to use the FLOSS drivers when they need to playback video? Doesn't sound very inconvinient does it.

    Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    And then that stupid list with Glide and Voodoo cards. Raise your hands if your 20yo GPU is not dead yet. Also none of these cards have been sold since the start of this freaking millenium.

    Stop being full of shit, man...
    That wasn't me who brought up those cards. Go back and read the name of the poster. Now who's being full of shit V!NCENT.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    One thing I don't support is any "hang 'em high" mentality that's for sure. I don't get why some people are so quick to reach for nVidia's throat.
    They never played nice and they showed many times they simply don't care about Linux users, but they only port Windows driver to Linux. They're slowly improving some things and add needed or not features, but it seems they don't care about the complaints. I have a very bad experience with nvidia related people. I even consider it's a Windows fanboys company.

    @Bulletxt

    Maybe because the NVIDIA driver is the real only working-feature-rich GPU driver for Linux. Tell me about another driver that works good, is stable, is feature rich, is performant, like NVIDIA.

    Maybe FGRLX? -> must be a joke
    Maybe Ati oss driver? -> that's another joke.
    Maybe. However, I don't consider nvidia drivers being stable (at least some quite long time ago), because they were an only reason why my Linux box crashed from time to time, 2D was terrible in KDE4 too, but I guess it was terrible in fglrx too. I read somewhere binary blobs are the main reason why the kernel "oopses".

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    They never played nice and they showed many times they simply don't care about Linux users
    In what way do they care less about Linux users than ATI does?

    Remember, nVidia have had consistent vendor support for Linux for many, many years now. They didn't start and then fade for awhile.

    nVidia don't see releasing specs as ATI did because of their own business reasons. That aside, their blob works great for the vast majority of their users. Now solution is perfect though and they've largely been less awful than the alternatives.

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    but they only port Windows driver to Linux.
    As long as they integrate it into Linux what's the problem with that?

    If it works, we get similar performance to what Windows users enjoy. They're not porting Windows to Linux, only parts of their driver that they also ship for the Windows platform. So do ATI by the way. They both see it as a sensible strategy.

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    They're slowly improving some things and add needed or not features, but it seems they don't care about the complaints.
    In the same way ATI customers are saying AMD don't care about them?

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I have a very bad experience with nvidia related people.
    And many also have issues with AMD. No body's perfect. Who is less good is what's important to be aware of.

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    I even consider it's a Windows fanboys company.
    Sounds ridiculous to me. Fanbois exist on both sides of the fence. It's just that the nVidia fanbois have an easier time of it than do the ATI/AMD ones at the moment.

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bulletxt View Post
    They care about their users and are realistic. I can't say the same for a lot of you out there.
    I don't think so. They care only for their interests and maybe that's why nvidia driver sux on desktops (yeah, it sux even if it's better then fglrx or os drivers), but it seems works great in enterprise.

    Blind extremism is the thing I hate most in the GNU/Linux world, even more than a blob driver.
    Blind extremism fits the best when comes to companies like MS, Apple, nVidia and SUN. They behave like some sect or something and I can only imagine brainwash their employers took. There are real reasons why to be against blobs right now: they introduce unstability, promote their ways of doing things (look at wine+nvidia), doesn't work out of the box, we're put at their mercy (maybe nvidia will add KMS support in few years or maybe not...).

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    In what way do they care less about Linux users than ATI does?
    They didn't release specifications. However, I'm not comparing them to AMD. If I said nVidia doesn't care about its users it doesn't mean AMD cares more (but when comes to specifications I think they do).

    As long as they integrate it into Linux what's the problem with that?
    The question could be about this integration, it's not so good in my opinion. No KMS, slow 2D.

    Sounds ridiculous to me. Fanbois exist on both sides of the fence. It's just that the nVidia fanbois have an easier time of it than do the ATI/AMD ones at the moment.
    Yes, they do. Or maybe it's because nVidia has some forums and Ati has not.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    They didn't release specifications. However, I'm not comparing them to AMD. If I said nVidia doesn't care about its users it doesn't mean AMD cares more (but when comes to specifications I think they do).
    I'd rather they'd release specs. It's just when I come to spending my money I need something to work. That's what I and most people do. If nVidia stop producing viable choices they will go away.


    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    The question could be about this integration, it's not so good in my opinion. No KMS, slow 2D.
    I do hope they do something with KMS support but I'm not holding my breath. As for slow 2D, I don't have it here on my current 9800GT. It's driving two screens at once as well. I'll be putting the new card in soon so I wonder what I'll be facing then.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugginz View Post
    I never said it was. It doesn’t take a brain surgin to know that they shouldn’t unnecessarily break either fglrx or nVidia’s blob though.
    Recurcive argumentation. A is B because B is A. What the fsck is your point? You didn’t have one, ‘cus I made one: Why does the free software X.org, being a refference implemenation of X11, that has its own free drivers, stop and considder supporting a commercial closed source driver that’s in development outside of X.org, which completely doesn't give a fsck about whether X.org wants to move on or uses new tech, when it already has Noveau? Care to explain? Or care to shut up? Choose one...


    Don’t you understand that some people need to use fglrx?
    What the fsck is this for a shewbacca defense?! Realy... This makes zero sense...

    When they do, do you suggest that they reconfigure their machines to use the FLOSS drivers when they need to playback video? Doesn’t sound very inconvinient does it.
    X.org ships nv-blob by default? What? I think it is the other way around, but that might just be me

    That wasn’t me who brought up those cards. Go back and read the name of the poster. Now who’s being full of shit V!NCENT.
    You’re still full of shit, or troll.... or both. Anyway I made a mistake reading Phoronix with my mobile slow-ass phone and got it mixed up in tha baking sun while being on a bus without airconditioning on. Sorry dude....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •