Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    I'm a big fan of LGP, and I have bought 5 or 6 games from them over the last couple of years. That's about 90% of all games I've bought during that time period. I'm not the average gamer or consumer, but I know that LGP has some good quality older games that run on my platform of choice. Aside from getting a good product, buying a game from a company like LGP does much to help the Linux gaming situation that we would all like to see do better than it is currently. Many of the issues I see people complaining about when it comes to LGP releases are not under the control of LGP to begin with. Linux gaming is, for better or worse, not the optimal combination for a variety of reasons, and taking it out on one of the main organizations in this relatively small community that is making positive changes is shooting ones self in the foot.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Only thing preventing me from playing it is that there's no way to switch to the desktop short of closing the game (even only for adjusting the system sound volume, which is insane). Did you find a hack around that?
    use a cracked x3 windows version in wine you can go on the desktop and back and you don't need to close the game!

    ++++++++ the windows version do have (directX9C+Vertex-Texture-Fetch) and the linux port only use openGL2.1+nvidia-only-extansions means the full game only works on nvidia hardware if you use a amd hardware you only get the basic openGL2.1 renderer means directX9b!

    wine brings the full DX9c+VTF X3 game to your AMD hardware based pc!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    I don't like it any better than you, if you want the God's truth on the subject. But, all too many people that want no DRM don't get that they've got other things they needs must do to get what they're wanting- and are completely unwilling to do them.

    How we got to this "terrible" situation? Because people didn't want to buy the games provided and left the situation where there was no ability to push back in any way against the requirement of the studios wanting it. You all paint this as if it wasn't a problem of not buying- but it IS one of that as much as anything else.

    What peeves me more than anything else is that people are more than happy to bitch about the lack of titles and the encroachment of DRM and are unwilling to do the things needed to FIX the problems in the first place. And...largely all the people in this thread doing the complaining are guilty in some respects of that very thing.
    And what things are needed from the players? You sort of danced around the issue, but it sure sounds like we were all supposed to break our piggy banks and buy multiple copies of games we didn't necessarily want in order to get the publishers' attention with inflated sales numbers. Did you have something else in mind?

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    And what things are needed from the players? You sort of danced around the issue, but it sure sounds like we were all supposed to break our piggy banks and buy multiple copies of games we didn't necessarily want in order to get the publishers' attention with inflated sales numbers. Did you have something else in mind?
    No, he is saying, if you consider playing it, instead of pirating it and/or running it on Wine, buy the Linux Native Copy instead.

    I have bought only _some_ of their games (the ones I thought looked interesting), and have not regretted it at all. Both the LGP and Runesoft published games are (from my point of view) excellent quality ports.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    And what things are needed from the players? You sort of danced around the issue, but it sure sounds like we were all supposed to break our piggy banks and buy multiple copies of games we didn't necessarily want in order to get the publishers' attention with inflated sales numbers. Did you have something else in mind?
    Well, I "sidestepped" the issue in question because I've ranted on and on about THAT as well and didn't want to be sounding like a broken record.

    There's tons of titles out there. If they're not to your liking, you don't have to buy, no. If they are, trying to make comparisons of the Bargain Bin pricing on the WINDOWS version of the game, since it's NOT the same title as far as the money, marketing, and sales people are concerned, isn't going to help either. It is to THAT that I speak of.

    You want AAA titles? You need to buy what you would've bought under any circumstances and for your preferred platform- even if you think you can get better deals by buying the Windows version and playing it under WINE. When you do that, you're voting with your money to make more Windows titles. They honestly don't give a damn if you're running under Linux and playing it under WINE- they see Windows SKUs selling, so they make MORE of that and none of what you'd like to have.

    If there's nothing you want to play, then you're not one of the people I'm referring to there. Seriously.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Most LGP games are DRM-free, it amounts to about 15 games. By your standards, you must have bought all of them (maybe twice) thus supporting DRM-free native Linux games.

    Here's the list unless I'm mistaken (I might have forgotten a few):
    Ballistics
    Cold War
    Gorky 17
    Knights and Merchants
    Mindrover Downloadable Update
    Creatures Internet Edition
    Hyperspace Delivery Boy
    Majesty Gold
    NingPo MahJong
    Candy Cruncher
    Mindrover
    Postal 2: Share the Pain
    Software Tycoon
    Soul Ride
    X2: The Threat

    Of course, it's possible you're just full of air, and never supported them when it counted. If people had spent time doing what you pretend you'd do, LGP wouldn't ever have had to consider DRM.

    But you can still go and by them if you intend to keep a bit of dignity. Twice since you boast to pay double. That way, next time you trash what good work people have done (all those DRM-free games LGP published) you won't sound like a tool.
    I haven't bought anything from LGP, becasue I was previously under the impression that all of their titles used DRM. To verify that I wasn't just making an assumption, I just revisited their website -- no where that I could find provided any info as to what titles used DRM and what ones do not. Since their site doesn't hide the fact that they use DRM (which, I admit is an honest thing to do that not all companies do), it is reasonable for the average person to assume that all their games use DRM. Hense my conclusion.

    And to clairify my statement, I'd pay double for software that I really want to get a Linux version. When I buy something that I don't really want that much just to support the developer, I usually only buy one copy, because I won't be actually using it.

    That said, if I can get confirmation from LGP as to which titles do not use any kind of DRM, I will certainly buy some of their titles, if only to support the idea of non DRM ridden games on Linux.

    To that end, I'll edit my previous statement to suggest that everyone boycott whatever games LGP sells that use DRM, rather than the company itself. Though that would be much more practical to do if we had official documentation about which games use DRM and which do not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf
    You want AAA titles? You need to buy what you would've bought under any circumstances and for your preferred platform- even if you think you can get better deals by buying the Windows version and playing it under WINE.
    I am in complete agreement with you there. It is completely stupid to buy a title that is available as a native Linux title as a Windows version just to run it in Wine. The only time I've ever bought any Windows games were when no Linux version existed. And I don't even do that anymore, now that most Windows games use DRM.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedLincoln View Post
    That said, if I can get confirmation from LGP as to which titles do not use any kind of DRM, I will certainly buy some of their titles, if only to support the idea of non DRM ridden games on Linux.
    Well, there WAS a reason I asked what I asked earlier, while "wearing my official LGP hat".

    I know for a fact that Ballistics doesn't. I'm the developer with the most hours invested into that title- and it's one of the ones that sold only 200-400 copies with the about 20:1 known piracy to purchase ratio.

    I'm fairly sure you got the whole list of the stuff that doesn't have DRM. I think only Shadowgrounds:Survivor might have it in there and definitely sure Sacred has DRM as it was developed as much in compliance with Ascaron's desires for the title as the other stated reasons.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Well I for one fully intend to be buying a few games...after moving, sorting out a kitchen, and then wandering down to the bank for a pre-paid credit card.
    Sadly a kitchen has priority over computer games right now.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    I know for a fact that Ballistics doesn't. I'm the developer with the most hours invested into that title- and it's one of the ones that sold only 200-400 copies with the about 20:1 known piracy to purchase ratio.

    I'm fairly sure you got the whole list of the stuff that doesn't have DRM. I think only Shadowgrounds:Survivor might have it in there and definitely sure Sacred has DRM as it was developed as much in compliance with Ascaron's desires for the title as the other stated reasons.
    Looks like a good place start. I signed up for an account on the website -- is there a way to pay in US dollars, or with Paypal? I'm not 100%, but I think my credit card charges me extra for transactions in foreign currencies. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to avoid extra charges if possible.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Creve Coeur, Missouri
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Well, I "sidestepped" the issue in question because I've ranted on and on about THAT as well and didn't want to be sounding like a broken record.

    There's tons of titles out there. If they're not to your liking, you don't have to buy, no. If they are, trying to make comparisons of the Bargain Bin pricing on the WINDOWS version of the game, since it's NOT the same title as far as the money, marketing, and sales people are concerned, isn't going to help either. It is to THAT that I speak of.

    You want AAA titles? You need to buy what you would've bought under any circumstances and for your preferred platform- even if you think you can get better deals by buying the Windows version and playing it under WINE. When you do that, you're voting with your money to make more Windows titles. They honestly don't give a damn if you're running under Linux and playing it under WINE- they see Windows SKUs selling, so they make MORE of that and none of what you'd like to have.

    If there's nothing you want to play, then you're not one of the people I'm referring to there. Seriously.
    No we are voting with our money for better games, not Windows.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •