Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Is LGP Going The Way Of Loki Software?

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    If you're not going to vote FOR Linux for whatever reasons you have (I'm not challenging your complaint- I get you don't want anything out there and you want the "shiny" stuff that others have...) you need to realize that buying a Windows title is not going to help things AT ALL. They don't have a magic window into what OS you're running- they think you're running Windows.
    Well you also have to realize that asking a gamer to NOT buy a solution that fixes their itch is not a reasonable thing to ask as well. If anything it can damage the PC gaming ecosystem even further. " Game doesn't sell on windows, ok next release is console only". Every non vote for windows is more then likely to be counted as a vote against PC gaming and linux never will even come into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Well you also have to realize that asking a gamer to NOT buy a solution that fixes their itch is not a reasonable thing to ask as well. If anything it can damage the PC gaming ecosystem even further. " Game doesn't sell on windows, ok next release is console only". Every non vote for windows is more then likely to be counted as a vote against PC gaming and linux never will even come into consideration.
    I very much like your point. Personally, I think it would be pretty cool to use a Linux live CD like you would a game console. Just a thought though...

I always wonder where the 20:1 piracy figures come from, because whenever I think of checking that I usually can't find a single LGP game shared anywhere.
    Just now a search for "linux" at TBP has 1 LGP title, out of 79 hits.

Before accusing me of failing morals because of the above, consider that I haven't pirated a single computer game in years. :P

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    There is a problem there, yes. But voting for Windows doesn't fix things at all either. Perhaps that is the way that AAA titles will go for a while as the Indies building up steam now are going up the food chain.

I'll be honest and state I think that most (over 2/3rds...) of the AAA titles aren't and weren't worth buying in the first place. I think the only titles I've bought that were AAA that were worth the cash was Fallout 3, God of War III, and Heavy Rain. Most of the rest of the stuff I see on the shelves hasn't appealed to me or was drek.

Perhaps we're arguing about something that's a bit less relevant than we think it is...

There is a problem there, yes. But voting for Windows doesn't fix things at all either. Perhaps that is the way that AAA titles will go for a while as the Indies building up steam now are going up the food chain.

I'll be honest and state I think that most (over 2/3rds...) of the AAA titles aren't and weren't worth buying in the first place. I think the only titles I've bought that were AAA that were worth the cash was Fallout 3, God of War III, and Heavy Rain. Most of the rest of the stuff I see on the shelves hasn't appealed to me or was drek.

Perhaps we're arguing about something that's a bit less relevant than we think it is...
    I personally didn't think the last two were worth it, but the first one... Seriously, it would be pretty cool to have Fallout for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    I personally didn't think the last two were worth it, but the first one... Seriously, it would be pretty cool to have Fallout for Linux
    No kidding. It's still nice on the PS3. I'm just not overall likely to get much of anything else for that console, though... GoW3 was more a present for the kids and might well be one of my last purchases for a while- as much as I wanted it, I've issues with their taking OtherOS out of the firmware loadout on my 160G.

As it stands, I think we're all going to find that we're going to differ on what is good/no-good and the ratios I'm giving here are going to be close to the same for other people.

I agree we've got problems, guys. I've not got all the answers, as much as I wish I did. Some of these issues could be answered with substantively more money than Michael Simms has poured into things here; a PowerBall big jackpot win would leave one flush enough with cash to do it with current circumstances. But that's pipedreaming there. I've got more than I can probably ever handle solo with that wishlist thread catch we've gotten- and I'm not wholly sure how a porting consortium of devs accross international lines would even work right at the moment. Might work well, might not work worth a flip.

Some of these issues could be answered with substantively more money than Michael Simms has poured into things here; a PowerBall big jackpot win would leave one flush enough with cash to do it with current circumstances.
    OK, I'm starting to see a workable strategy here. Everyone needs to focus on finding the millionaires in their circle of friends and installing Linux on *their* systems

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I always wonder where the 20:1 piracy figures come from, because whenever I think of checking that I usually can't find a single LGP game shared anywhere.
    Just now a search for "linux" at TBP has 1 LGP title, out of 79 hits.

Before accusing me of failing morals because of the above, consider that I haven't pirated a single computer game in years. :P
    There's no sharing going on right now as best as I can tell for my title I was involved with. It's my understanding that it sold a bit over 200 copies, and there's at least 2000 in the wild based on watching the torrents when it showed up. If you think about even ONE torrent at The Pirate Bay that has LGP titles, there's an issue going on there. It gives studios like Ascaron the ability to INSIST upon DRM being in the mix- which is what happened. Each and every person sharing that game via TPB or other torrent trackers is taking away your position for you. You don't want them doing it.

Just so you know, I'm not the one asking for or demanding DRM- I'm someone that detests the whole concept and thinks it's a waste of time and resources on both the developer's and the customer's side of things. I've not seen a thin dime for Ballistics yet because of things I mentioned in this thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    OK, I'm starting to see a workable strategy here. Everyone needs to focus on finding the millionaires in their circle of friends and installing Linux on *their* systems
    ROFLMAO! I know I wish I could be one of those multimillionaires.

ROFLMAO! I know I wish I could be one of those multimillionaires.
    Maybe you could... Drop the price to $5.00 USD on the small games and $10.00 USD on the large ones, and watch your sales rise through the roof.