Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 64

Thread: XvBA on Evergreen

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XabiX View Post
    Page 19: Please note the HDMI audio output only supports AC3, DTS and 2-channel-LPCM formats. (AC3 and DTS require the use of an external decoder for decoding.)
    If you have a surround receiver supporting AC3/DTS decoding (most surround receivers produced after 2000 do), "mplayer -ac hwdts,hwac3, -ao alsa" using a coaxial or optical cable connected to SPDIF should result in 5.1 output on the receiver.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I'm still a bit in the dark, you have a Yamaha decoder/amp to pipe DTS to, which should be supported (as reads in the manual)?
    Yes Curaga you should be right. I think I read this too quick and my 1st focus was that I spent so much time to try to make the interlace mode working that I decided to buy a graphical card.

    If some people are interested here is the info about intel drivers and interlace mode:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/568533

    As I never add 1080i with the intel I can't really compare the video decoding as now I am in 1080p vs 1280x720 before.

    If I understand there is nothing special to be done today to get a better experience with the evergreen cards than waiting that the drivers provide some GPU capabilities?

    Thanks
    XabiX

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XabiX View Post
    If I understand there is nothing special to be done today to get a better experience with the evergreen cards than waiting that the drivers provide some GPU capabilities?
    Just make sure you try the various options for GL output (rather than Xv) provided by your player.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Just make sure you try the various options for GL output (rather than Xv) provided by your player.
    I will give them a try. Should I try also gl2?

    I don't know if opengl can impact vnc sessions are not but I know that if I select gl within mythtv for example I can't see through vnc the screens.

    I ll report what I found for anyone benefit.

    Cheers and thanks Bridgman (is your nickname bc you are doing somehow the bridge between ATI dev and linux users?)

    XabiX

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Yes, IIRC the gl2 options often work better.

    Bridgman is my real name. Not sure of the history, presumably an ancestor either designed bridges, worked on a bridge, or lived under a bridge

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Yes, IIRC the gl2 options often work better.

    Bridgman is my real name. Not sure of the history, presumably an ancestor either designed bridges, worked on a bridge, or lived under a bridge
    lol I like the last one option, Bridgman.

    My last name means the big table so it s worth

    At least we have a roof and a table ;-)

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zhark View Post
    If you have a surround receiver supporting AC3/DTS decoding (most surround receivers produced after 2000 do), "mplayer -ac hwdts,hwac3, -ao alsa" using a coaxial or optical cable connected to SPDIF should result in 5.1 output on the receiver.
    I looked at the settings and it shows still stereo under lucid sound settings. I had the same with the Intel HD graphics and now I have still stereo shown with the ATI card.

    I did re install in between.

    Is this normal? I will have to look and test if this is just a display issue.

    Code:
    **** Liste des PLAYBACK périphériques ****
    Home directory /home/xabix not ours.
    carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 0 : ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
      Sous-périphériques: 1/1
      Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
    carte  0: Intel [HDA Intel], périphérique 1 : ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
      Sous-périphériques: 1/1
      Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
    carte  1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], périphérique 3 : ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
      Sous-périphériques: 1/1
      Sous-périphérique: #0: subdevice #0
    `
    Cheers
    XabiX

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XabiX View Post
    I will give them a try. Should I try also gl2?

    I don't know if opengl can impact vnc sessions are not but I know that if I select gl within mythtv for example I can't see through vnc the screens.

    I ll report what I found for anyone benefit.

    Cheers and thanks Bridgman (is your nickname bc you are doing somehow the bridge between ATI dev and linux users?)

    XabiX

    So with mplayer here are the results for a H264 file:
    gl is the best but takes around 85% of one cpu
    gl((yuv) comes after with 75%
    gl(quick for ATI) around 75%
    xv(avivo) is good too.

    with a DVD CPU is very low 16%

    I will keep gl for now even if it s not perfect with DVD.

    Thanks
    XabiX

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    You might want to play with gl sub-options as well. Maybe try something like mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:rectangle=1..

    The first option should reduce CPU load by doing YUV-RGB conversion on the GPU rather than the CPU, second option should reduce memory usage by using non-power-of-two textures. Default for both of the sub-options is 0.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    You might want to play with gl sub-options as well. Maybe try something like mplayer -vo gl:yuv=2:rectangle=1..

    The first option should reduce CPU load by doing YUV-RGB conversion on the GPU rather than the CPU, second option should reduce memory usage by using non-power-of-two textures. Default for both of the sub-options is 0.
    Thanks Bridman for the info.

    For everyone info, SMplayer provides a good abstraction layer on top on Mplayer and also provides direct configuration of gl(yuv).

    FYI here is my SMplayer video config:
    • Enable post-processing by default (quality set to 6 by default) (not set)
    • Deinterlace by default to what? (set to none)
    • Use sw video equalizer (not set)
    • direct rendering? (not set)
    • Double buffering? (set)
    • Draw video using slices? (set)


    If you think that I should change it plz let me know.

    Merci
    XabiX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •