Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: 5870 future prospects

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,645

    Default

    First of all it is called Bluray and when you have got a full hd display you usually want to watch full hd content. If you want to talk about Judas go to a priest. I prefer working solutions and no ideological bullshit like you.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Buy a more economical video card according to your actual needs. Then on 2011-2012 buy another economical card for your future needs (you don't know yet). Nvidia and ATI are always making profit of plp who want their latest hardware and this hardware is over-priced. They are playing you, and you consent.

    Spending 650$ for linux + wine is a waste of performance and money, you are wasting 50% of this monstrous card brute force on the vast majority of wine games, you can play at the same performance using a 200$ ati card on windows.

    Well, this is at least my point of view.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Buy a more economical video card according to your actual needs. Then on 2011-2012 buy another economical card for your future needs
    I have to agree with Jimbo here. This is also usually my approach. And I don't even think that the card's power will be "wasted" on linux, but rather that most people don't need the most powerful harware availabe. The real performance difference won't be so great as the numbers make it seem. Can you tell the difference between 60FPS and 70FPS? And that might be the difference between a 200$ and a 500$ card. And on top of all that you might see a big difference in performance today from a medium and a high-end card, but in 3 years they will both be crap.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devius View Post
    I don't even think that the card's power will be "wasted" on linux, but rather that most people don't need the most powerful harware availabe.
    I really think the card's power will be "wasted" on linux. Some numbers from Dan Kegel (wine devel) from may-2010:


    Ubuntu: 6 runs
    3dmark2000: min 4145, median 4154, max 4170
    3dmark2001: min 18884, median 19261, max 19520
    3dmark2006: min 17315, median 18154, max 18498

    Vista: 2 runs:
    3dmark2000: 8206, 8219
    3dmark2006: 30278, 32384

    I usually experience similar numbers on games I play.

    On linux side, I think there are not yet a very high demanding game that really requires the power of an ati 5870.

    If he plans to window gaming with the card, then it seems a little reasonable purchase, but I think there are better economical options available. Really, setting the texture quality from high to highest or shadows... doesn't change the game a lot.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    With respect, where are you getting these "supposedly" statements from ? We have only made one statement about the new 2D accel, that it is still in development but that 10.6 was the first release where we felt that the code had progressed enough to enable it by default, with an easy way to to turn it off in case of problems on certain systems or apps.

    Did someone from AMD tell you different ?
    Sorry, just random statements from people around that forum that sound like they've at least seen changelogs or tested it. Nobody I can specifically name off the top of my head.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Got it. Just to avoid misunderstandings, the code has been in *development* for months but that's not the same as "undergoing months of testing". We know it still needs work but feedback so far suggests that most users were happy with the new code (and the improved 2D performance under a compositor), and that only a minority (albeit a non-trivial minority) were using apps/toolkits which resulted in artifacts.

    re: the OpenGL problems that you mentioned having been "broken for ages", my understanding was that the problems appeared in 10.6, possibly as a side-effect of the OpenGL 4.0 changes. Did you find the problems also existed with Cat 10.5 ?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Got it. Just to avoid misunderstandings, the code has been in *development* for months but that's not the same as "undergoing months of testing". We know it still needs work but feedback so far suggests that most users were happy with the new code (and the improved 2D performance under a compositor), and that only a minority (albeit a non-trivial minority) were using apps/toolkits which resulted in artifacts.

    re: the OpenGL problems that you mentioned having been "broken for ages", my understanding was that the problems appeared in 10.6, possibly as a side-effect of the OpenGL 4.0 changes. Did you find the problems also existed with Cat 10.5 ?

    Cat 10.5 was showing as having OpenGL 4 for me, problem also existed in the OGL 4 beta driver released back in March or whenever it was.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    Understood. I wasn't asking whether OpenGL 4.0 was exposed in Cat 10.5 though, I was asking if the problems you mentioned occurred in Cat 10.5.

    Comments from other users suggest that the problems appeared between Catalyst 10.5 and 10.6.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,539

    Default

    For clarity, when I say "between 10.5 and 10.6" I'm talking about "in the main stream of Catalyst driver releases" (ie 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6), not the GL 4 beta driver.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    For clarity, when I say "between 10.5 and 10.6" I'm talking about "in the main stream of Catalyst driver releases" (ie 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6), not the GL 4 beta driver.
    Ah. Yeah, I had the problem (Heroes of Newerth and a couple of other things I can't think of right now segfaulting on launch) in 10.5 and 10.6. Problem (and one that I assume may be related) got reported on the bug tracker here:
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1827
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1824

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •