Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 53

Thread: 5870 future prospects

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Some posters seem to have missed a bit here, what I am talking about is
    future open source support. If you wait until OS support for the 5870 to
    become stable then the card will be well and truely gone from the shops.
    There of course will be newer cheaper cards availble but still with poor or
    no open source support. So I am willing for the wait.
    According to everything that has been communicated by the ATi people and the developers working on the OSS radeon stack, the support for 5xxx hardware is progressing and will be released at some workable state rather soon, not in 2-3 years.

    ATi has pledged to open the specs and to pay programmers to provide a basic drivers, and the remaining work is left to the community. It seems like this is the way things are working. We have most things working as well as the current Mesa limitations allow (e.g. OpenGL 3+ are Mesa-bound) with 4xxx hardware, and the community is taking over a lot of the Gallium3d work and improving the driver.

    I can only speculate, but it seems very likely that AMD will provide enough specs and code to ensure that we will have a fully-featured open source 5xxx driver, minus the DRM-infected bits such as hardware video decoding (which will be done on shaders). It's likely that initial support will be coming soon and take a while (year?) to mature.

    It's very likely that the performance will always trail behind the proprietary blob because it lacks 15 years of accumulated driver optimisations, but it should be usable for most work.

    Hope that helps.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    437

    Default

    I think long term FGLRX users have the tendency to hurt themselves, both psychologically and possible physically?

    The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.

    Go get an nVidia GTX 470, or wait for the GTX 460 (GF 104 Line) to come out. I will save yourself endless nights figuring out why the hell on earth a $600 dollar card cannot even play video to an acceptable quality.

    Fglrx users: go ahead and hurt yourself, but don't drag others down your path.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    According to everything that has been communicated by the ATi people and the developers working on the OSS radeon stack, the support for 5xxx hardware is progressing and will be released at some workable state rather soon, not in 2-3 years.

    ATi has pledged to open the specs and to pay programmers to provide a basic drivers, and the remaining work is left to the community. It seems like this is the way things are working. We have most things working as well as the current Mesa limitations allow (e.g. OpenGL 3+ are Mesa-bound) with 4xxx hardware, and the community is taking over a lot of the Gallium3d work and improving the driver.

    I can only speculate, but it seems very likely that AMD will provide enough specs and code to ensure that we will have a fully-featured open source 5xxx driver, minus the DRM-infected bits such as hardware video decoding (which will be done on shaders). It's likely that initial support will be coming soon and take a while (year?) to mature.

    It's very likely that the performance will always trail behind the proprietary blob because it lacks 15 years of accumulated driver optimisations, but it should be usable for most work.

    Hope that helps.
    Many thanks the thread has been most helpfull. Looking around I have found the 5870 can be obtained fo around 500 dollars Aus. Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs. Some thing I am not realy interested in. Also apart from installing I have never had any trouble with the FGLRX driver.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Many thanks the thread has been most helpfull. Looking around I have found the 5870 can be obtained fo around 500 dollars Aus. Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs. Some thing I am not realy interested in. Also apart from installing I have never had any trouble with the FGLRX driver.
    there are a lot of 2gb vram single gpu cards: http://geizhals.at/?cat=gra16_512&xf=132_2048

    its very important to get the 2GB version!

    thats because openCL can only be used effectiv if you have much vram (4gb vram should be better)

    your project sound like ArmA2(OFP) (225kmē map 10km view) and ArmA2 need 2gb vram right now.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    I think long term FGLRX users have the tendency to hurt themselves, both psychologically and possible physically?
    I think on an long term of period nvidia customers have the tendency to hurt other people around expediently opensource/linux people, both psychologically and possible physically?

    Is RMS your next Victim or do you prefer Linus Torvalds first or mybe your next Target is Bridgman?

    Someone should call 911 to stop you!

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Many thanks the thread has been most helpfull. Looking around I have found the 5870 can be obtained fo around 500 dollars Aus. Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs. Some thing I am not realy interested in. Also apart from installing I have never had any trouble with the FGLRX driver.
    In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

    But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

    Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noobish View Post
    In this case Q is right. I have the 2gig 5870 (add search phrase 'eyefinity') to your queries.

    But, don't plan on using more than 2 monitors, they're disabled in fglrx!

    Queue Q-man telling us that 10.7 will support 24 monitors with its 6 DisplayPorts (that don't support the upcoming DP group's chaining feature) and will solve all of his problems (probably all of yours too).
    you need 2 pices 5970 to use 24 displays or 4 pices of 5870!

    catalyst 10-7 just enable the eyefinity feature

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec

  8. #48
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Owatonna, Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Currently as far as I can see there are no 2gig 5870's the 2 gig cards are 5970's which are two GPU jobs.
    Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
    Model #1
    Model #2

    I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayofEvil View Post
    Here's some 2GB 5870's (not Eyefinity models) -
    Model #1
    Model #2

    I personally think the ASUS one (the first link) is the better choice.
    the asus matrix is a OC card with special chips on it and i think the OC tools are windows only

    this card is build to OC up to 375watt (1200mhz)!!!!!!!!!

    but i think.... its not the 'Linux' Card.,,

    because standard OC tools can't handle the special chips on it to control the Voltage !

  10. #50
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Germany/NRW
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    The man stating R600/R700 binary driver can do tearfree video is utterly bullshitting.
    AFAIK OpenGl video-out + OpenGl vsync gives you tear-free video, at least in fullscreen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •