Thread: Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver

Default Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver

Phoronix: Qualcomm Releases Open-Source 2D/3D Kernel Driver

If you happen to have Google's Nexus One or other phones based upon Qualcomm's Snapdragon processor, there is great news today. Qualcomm has just released an open-source 2D/3D kernel driver for their OpenGL ES graphics processor. This Qualcomm kernel driver provides support for interrupts, command streams, context switching, memory management, etc. Qualcomm is looking to push this code into the mainline Linux kernel ASAP...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODM4OA

Question

So what are the implications for the end-user? My Nexus One already has graphics support.

Quote Originally Posted by atmartens View Post
    So what are the implications for the end-user? My Nexus One already has graphics support.
    Hopefully better quality driver in future releases of Android. They don't have to spend that much time maintaining the code out-of-tree so they can focus on fixing bugs and improvements. Plus others can now improve the driver if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by atmartens View Post

Probably none whatsoever.

This type of news is generally only interesting to devs, and those who keep up on this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by benmoran View Post
    This type of news is generally only interesting to devs, and those who keep up on this kind of stuff.
    And of course to those who develop third party ROM for Android mobiles and want to include custom kernels...