Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GNOME 2.31.4 Is Ready For Some Testing Love

Default GNOME 2.31.4 Is Ready For Some Testing Love

Phoronix: GNOME 2.31.4 Is Ready For Some Testing Love

It should come as no surprise that there is now a new GNOME 3.0 test release seeing as in the past couple of days we have talked about new development releases of GNOME Shell and Mutter, GTK+ 3.0, and Clutter 1.3/1.4, along with a slew of other GNOME packages being checked-in...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODM5MA

It would be interesting to see for a comparison of resources comsumption (RAM, CPU, disk-IO) of last versions of KDE, Gnome, and maybe XFCE or others...

Quote Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
    It would be interesting to see for a comparison of resources comsumption (RAM, CPU, disk-IO) of last versions of KDE, Gnome, and maybe XFCE or others...
    Been there done that.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_vitals&num=1

Not likely much has changed with regard to resource consumption since then.

Not really anything changed in the PTS code. I don't think it was fixed. Did you compare with htop? If it would be a bash only part i would fix it, but that's too much php in that section.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Not really anything changed in the PTS code. I don't think it was fixed. Did you compare with htop?
    Me no. I prefer a usable desktop without eye-candy crap and a gazillion configuration options that only get in the way. So KDE was never an option for me, even if it didn't suck in resource usage.

You showed a graph with wrong results not me...

I just copy-pasted the graph from the article. It's not my responsibility if the results are right or wrong.

Ops, ok, thank you, I didn't know that article, altough I might... is from march...

And its incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by monraaf View Post
    Been there done that.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...p_vitals&num=1

Not likely much has changed with regard to resource consumption since then.

This has been discussed a lot over the years, but you do know that the graph is completely useless right?

Different OS's and desktop environments use memory differently, and KDE's memory usage has always appeared high because it keeps a lot of items loaded into ram. What's the point of having 4 gigs of memory if most of it sits unused? Buffer up as much as possible.