Once in a while when I am out of the country, but I don't think I've ever taken a FULL day off where I've went 24 hours without checking emails / RSS feeds / etc... Usually do at least 2~3 hours a day even when on "vacation." But normally up to 16 hours a day when not traveling.
Originally Posted by V!NCENT
Even during Oktoberfest I still do work in the mornings... I wish the tents would have WiFi in them, then I could be getting more work done during midday
Originally Posted by d2kx
For the love of god, Michael, take one full day off. I could live without FLOSS news for one freaking day... Sooner or later this is going to bite you in the ass.
Write an article and put one news item on hold and create a script to upload it while you're having a picknick in the park...
lol, are you trying to get a burnout?
Originally Posted by Michael
Anyway here are my thoughts on this.
-- first the negative points --
1. The site has way to much annoying ads thus adblock is installed. Not only for phoronix but for a range of other sites as well. And even if i would let it on i still won't click the adds thus you won't make any money from me there.
2. One reason to most definitely install adblock is intellitxt.. i might consider white listing phoronix if intellitxt was gone besides that it's plain useless!
3. the overly eager advertising for PTS is also quite annoying!
4. Posting articles that say/mean nothing are.. useless! So just don't even bother posting them in the first place.
-- now for the more helpful thoughts --
1. You need someone to help you. It doesn't need to be paid. I'm sure there are people here willing to help you with proronix. I for one am willing to some degree.
2. You need a redesigned phoronix with a more user friendly design. This theme is annoying me ever since i first saw this site.
3. You need to listen to your members. You've been getting more critics lately and you've been asked probably a few 100 times to extend the post edit time.
4. Your entire mindset has to change. To me it seems like you think like this (roughly) : "post as much as you can even when it's not worth posting, promote PTS as much as you can, add as much ads as you can" ...... Change it to : "Post things users want to see and quality reviews. Listen to the users and ask for (free) help. Place related ads or no ads at least not as many as now."
As an example of how you need to do it look on this dutch news site: www.tweaker.net I hate their attitude but the news is mostly good and of high quality. In the top right section you see reviews. Phoronix needs a good looking site with a good main page. Right now the site looks kinda messy.
Again while i'm hard in this post i don't mean it bad. And again i do want to help you for free under some conditions. You should not ask me to write articles since english isn't my best quality ^_^
btw. Extremely off topic
Dude that link is wrong; it's tweakerS.net and by god I soooo much HATE that site! But the webdesign is good...
Hmm.. guess the delete option is also gone.
Then like this.
Michael, It's tweakers.net not tweaker.net
I can see what you did there.
Ok tried to see phoronix ads. But adblock doesn't actually do anything. It's all noscript. That's not so good
But the ads I got were not invasive or annoying, and some even interesting (hey, if I wasn't poor I might've even bought something).
This might be a good base to make a design for phoronix : http://aqib14.deviantart.com/art/Qua...ures-148450500
Looks cool to me.. just needs some adjustments to make it suitable for a news site. Don't forget to ask permission though.