Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [GMA X4500] GPU video decoding (VA-API?)

Default [GMA X4500] GPU video decoding (VA-API?)

Hi,
    I have a laptop with this card (Samsung X360) and I'dd like to play 1080p x264 videos, is there any way to have enhanced video playback like through VA-API/VDPAU? I can pull latest git drivers if needed, I can also enable gallium3d if it works.
    Does this GPU support 2560x1600 and 1920xYYYY (1080p) resolutions through HDMI? Under windows I have never been able to set a 1080p resolution.

Thank you

Not this year, when you run

http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mplayer-vaapi-latest.txt

On a new Debian/Ubuntu distribution with libdrm 2.4 or newer then you can use vainfo and mplayer -va vaapi -vo vaapi. But ONLY for MPEG2 currently. Next year this might change - the script will be the same.

Why even develop VA-API any farther. I wish everyone would focus on Gallium3D.

Quote Originally Posted by wswartzendruber View Post
    Why even develop VA-API any farther. I wish everyone would focus on Gallium3D.
    Your comment shows you don't know what either of these terms mean.

At least Intel GMA 500 (Poulsbo) seems to be able to use real video accelleration with it and VLC 1.1 might use it too. There is a vdpau-video wrapper for nvidia cards, but currently i have got some issues with vc1 full hd and vaapi. The xvba-video wrapper fails because of ATI's inability to decode certain h264 videos and it does not work for MPEG1/2 with xvba.

Quote Originally Posted by mattst88 View Post
    Your comment shows you don't know what either of these terms mean.
    Can Gallium3D not contain a video decoding state tracker? Now I have to take back not using VA-API, as I got it confused with VDPAU. VA-API can already use VDPAU as a backend, but why not restructure it to use a Gallium3D state tracker instead?

EDIT: Leaving the VDPAU backend in place would probably benefit existing NVIDIA customers, but adding Gallium3D in addition could, in time, benefit everyone else.
    Last edited by wswartzendruber; 01-19-2010 at 03:51 AM.

[No GMAX4500 inside! My motherboard sports a G33, e.g. the previous generation]

I upgraded all the xorg/mesa/intel/vlc files yesterday, and also libc6 (2.10.2-5), and after a couple of tests with a few FullHD videos I have been testing for a year, I witnessed a huge improvement: perfect fluidity (which was reached thanks to a previous upgrade of all these files a couple of months ago), and a surprising very low CPU usage (Core2Duo at 2.8 gHz).
    I am happily astonished!

Debian Testing/Experimental:
    linux 2.6.32
    kde 4.3
    xserver-xorg-core: 7.4.2
    xorg and xserver-xorg: 7.5+3
    libdrm2 and libdrmintel1: 2.4.17+git20100120 (got it thanks to Ubuntu sarvatt karmic)
    xserver-xorg-video-intel: 2.9.1-2
    vlc: 1.0.4-2+b1

I updated several packages, and CPU usage has increased enormously.
    A very unfortunate regression.
    Packages involed in this regression: the mesa 7.8.0-git20100210ubuntu-sarvatt-karmic related ones I guess.

If that really is a Mesa regression, now would be an excellent time to bisect it, with 7.8 soon to be released.

Default Current Status?

Any updates folks? How are things running these days for the GMA 4500MHD?

I am drooling for the Dell Vostro V13 with Ubuntu preinstalled. I don't need extremely demanding 3D Gaming but I'd really like it to play things like Flash video at 740p (1080p). I've been reading reviews, benchmarks and what not. I also own a much lower spec'ed Vostro A90, and from my experience the real issue is freakin' flash. Everything else is a pleasure.

Anyways, any thoughts, updates and or or pointers would be greatly appreciated.