Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Quietly Releases Catalyst 14.8 Linux Driver

Default AMD Quietly Releases Catalyst 14.8 Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Quietly Releases Catalyst 14.8 Linux Driver

At the end of last week AMD quietly released the Catalyst 14.8 binary driver for Linux that went unnoticed until now...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2MzM

I hope it actually works, I've mostly dumped AMD for nVidia over their Linux, and Windows, drivers.

Radeonsi works great for everything but games

Quote Originally Posted by Britoid View Post
    I hope it actually works, I've mostly dumped AMD for nVidia over their Linux, and Windows, drivers.

Radeonsi works great for everything but games
    Don't get your hopes too high for this particular driver, as it says "embedded".

Take care i'm pretty sure this driver is for embedded graphics only.

E8860
    E6760
    E6460
    R-Series 2nd Gen formally codenamed ‘Bald Eagle’
    R-Series 1st Gen formally codenamed ‘eTrinity’
    G-Series SOC
    G-Series
    Radeon HD 6970M
    Radeon HD5770

I've dumped catalyst for the free radeon driver. It's still an old 6870, so it's actually quite nice and only a little slower than catalyst in most cases AFAICT. It definitely helps if you want things to just work (TM).

Now I'm waiting for radeonsi to get some serious performance tuning before I buy a new card. If they don't manage to do that within ~1year I'll consider buying nvidia this time, as I plan to get new mobo+cpu+ram+gpu (probably need a silent replacement for my 5 years old power supply that is a little noisy) after Broadwell or Skylake are released (not sure if I'm going to wait for Skylake). I hope the radeon situation improves, because I love having no headaches with proprietary driver updates etc. I know that is supposed to be easier with nvidia compared to catalyst.

That's not the Catalyst 14.8, it's the embedded version of the 14.6.

You keep saying it doesn't work with 3.16 but back to 14.6 does on my arch setup...

Default Still no E8860 support

I tried Catalyst 14.8 for Linux yesterday, in the hope that it would finally add support for the newish Radeon E8860 Embedded GPU.

Alas not.

this is a new catalyst or not?

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    You keep saying it doesn't work with 3.16 but back to 14.6 does on my arch setup...
    Are you compiling the driver as-is from AMD, or using the fglrx package in the AUR? I'm almost certain the package maintainer does a patch to allow it to work on newer kernels, and such a patch can also be done for any other distro.

It's the plain package from AMD (unmodified) that doesn't work on kernels higher than 3.14 I think.