Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Can't Ship Their Own Driver With Their MeeGo OS

Hybrid View

Default Intel Can't Ship Their Own Driver With Their MeeGo OS

Phoronix: Intel Can't Ship Their Own Driver With Their MeeGo OS

With the introduction of Intel's Poulsbo (GMA 500) chipset it marked a point at which Intel's Linux graphics support was no longer stellar, but as they had outsourced the graphics IP from Imagination Technologies, they could not provide an open-source driver stack like they do with their in-house IGPs. Not only was this Intel Poulsbo Linux driver closed-source, but the level of support was appalling and it was a bloody mess of a situation. The overall situation since has only become worse and even MeeGo (their own Linux OS) will be shipping without Intel's EMGD driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQxOA

They could ship it with Linux only if it was GPLd or am I missing something? Unless they made it clear somehow that it is not a part of the whole but some software compilation of sort, which I don't see possible for the out-of-the-box driver.
    I was always wondering how OEMs could legally distribute their blobs with Linux powered devices (NVidia, imgtec etc.). Did I overstimate/misunderstand GPL?

Quote Originally Posted by cician View Post
    They could ship it with Linux only if it was GPLd or am I missing something? Unless they made it clear somehow that it is not a part of the whole but some software compilation of sort, which I don't see possible for the out-of-the-box driver.
    I was always wondering how OEMs could legally distribute their blobs with Linux powered devices (NVidia, imgtec etc.). Did I overstimate/misunderstand GPL?
    This has nothing to do with the GPL. The required parts (=kernel components) are already GPLed.
    The Linux kernel maintainers just won't accept GPL driver code that's only usable with non-FOSS userspace components.

i only buy amd hardware ;-) real opensource solution not a joke like intel

Wow, so its starting to look like EMGD is a bust... unless anyone can convince intel to hand it over under NDA and then, uhm.... their server may get hacked into

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i only buy amd hardware ;-) real opensource solution not a joke like intel
    Maybe lets talk about these Z1X0 and Z4X0 accelerator cores AMD used to make ...

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Maybe lets talk about these Z1X0 and Z4X0 accelerator cores AMD used to make ...
    Ah... But you couldn't directly buy those, and there was at least some rumblings of maybe doing the same thing with them that they did with the Radeon lineup...just before they sold the division to Qualcomm.

I would not use that as a counter-example here...

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    I've always wondered about the 4x0's.... they are apparently based on the xenos chip used in xbox360, which is based mostly on R500 with some R600 features thrown in for fun.... so bringing open source drivers to the 4x0 may not be such a monstrous undertaking as you suggest. The reason AMD *hasn't* is because they are no longer RESPONSIBLE for it.

Quote Originally Posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    This has nothing to do with the GPL. The required parts (=kernel components) are already GPLed.
    The Linux kernel maintainers just won't accept GPL driver code that's only usable with non-FOSS userspace components.
    Oh, that's not the problem. Like all distributions, they're not going to ship vanilla Liunx from kernel.org or the git tree. They're going to configure it to suit them, add a few patches that they feel need to be in the mix...

Intel could ship MeeGo with the DRM portion just fine per the terms of the GPL.

It's the other part, the userspace blobs for 3D that're the problem here.

Intel is not even able to ship their own Linux driver for their own hardware with their MeeGo operating system.
    Logical thing. If Apple would made a GPL driver they also couldn't ship their own driver for their own hardware (in theory) with their OS X operating system.