Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

A few days back there was the release of two updated NVIDIA legacy drivers for Linux, but only their newest legacy driver (they have three different legacy drivers at present) gained support for X.Org Server 1.8. This support though is needed for the older NVIDIA drivers to operate on newer Linux distributions like Fedora 13 and openSUSE 11.3. On this Sunday evening we have now confirmation from NVIDIA that they have no plans on providing xorg-server 1.8 support for their oldest legacy driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODQyNQ

nvidia .... i buy amd hardware so i get full spec and full support after the live time of the commercial use.

in other words fuck you nvidia!

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    nvidia .... i buy amd hardware so i get full spec and full support after the live time of the commercial use.

in other words fuck you nvidia!
    full spec and full support... what driver do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    His card is not at the end of commercial support yet, but nice try,,,

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    if you use a hd2900 the card do have 100% spec because there is no UVD unit!

i use catalyst but! the radeon is a great fall-back!

Dropping GF2 support from 9x.xx was rather arbitrary - GF4MX is based off GF2MX, which has even fewer features IIRC.

ATI dropped support for <Radeon X/HD 2xxx hardware in Windows - even now you have to download an older-model driver via Microsoft. So who knows how well it will work in Windows 8, but say Ubuntu 12.04LTS should still have good support for r3xx-5xx.

Upgrading old desktops is sometimes Harder Than You Think. If you have a 440BX or other board that requires 3.3v AGP, almost nothing new will work. You can go on eBay and fish for an early r300 card, but a faster one tends to be too expensive for such a low-value comp.

It's sad to see MGA support decline, but I guess it's to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Page View Post
    Upgrading old desktops is sometimes Harder Than You Think. If you have a 440BX or other board that requires 3.3v AGP, almost nothing new will work. You can go on eBay and fish for an early r300 card, but a faster one tends to be too expensive for such a low-value comp.
    I think that the idea is to replace the entire computer and not just the graphics card.

ati ... I always buy the cutting edge 3D gpus so the 3D CG world can keep its pace and we will have more photo realistic renders year after year. and leave the old rusty stinky e-waste to you.

in other words fsck you ati!

people who accepts and prefers the ancient hardware and bragging for prolong their lives just don't get it: if we are all happy with hardware 10 years old there will be no such an industry as the "IT" industry, why do we need quad cores? The celeron 300A works just fine! We do we need GTX 480 Quad SLI? The Rage 128 works just fine! If no one pushes the industry forward, we will all be like you, unfortunately I rely on the industry to be pushed forward constantly to make millions, I'm not yet another basement script kiddo.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyRider View Post
    ati ... I always buy the cutting edge 3D gpus so the 3D CG world can keep its pace and we will have more photo realistic renders year after year. and leave the old rusty stinky e-waste to you.

in other words fsck you ati!

people who accepts and prefers the ancient hardware and bragging for prolong their lives just don't get it: if we are all happy with hardware 10 years old there will be no such an industry as the "IT" industry, why do we need quad cores? The celeron 300A works just fine! We do we need GTX 480 Quad SLI? The Rage 128 works just fine! If no one pushes the industry forward, we will all be like you, unfortunately I rely on the industry to be pushed forward constantly to make millions, I'm not yet another basement script kiddo.
    Wait what?

You are writting this if there is no future in Ati? All he is saying is that ancient Ati graphic cards might be better supported than the ancient nvidia cards, which is true. Because Ati has released specs for all those ancient cards.

If I were to buy a new moderne graphic card, it would definetly be Ati.
    1. Because since fglrx 10.6, everything on my desktop has been running like a chicken with a firecracker in its ass. It's even stable.
    2. Well I don't think I have to say, that 5xxx buttkick nvidia's 4xx series in almost every aspect.

this is becoming a stupid flamefest

i'll just nitpick at this one
    If fashion industry people are like you, there will be no fashion industry because cloths from 50 years ago can also keep you warm! What's the purpose?
    seriously, fashion industry doesn't really care about geeks, and men in general. and clothes don't generally last 50 years.

i'd say that takes away one pro-nvidia argument that they had over ati - they still maintained legacy drivers.

maybe that's what got people so upset, because they feel that next driver is going to go obsolete soon as well.

i wish nvidia would release the specs for that old hardware, since they don't plan to support it anymore.