Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA's Oldest Legacy Driver Will Not Gain New Support

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Are you saying that ATi and Intel hardware does not work?
    If referring to intel poulsbo/moorestown, I would have to somewhat agree. If referring to ati of several years ago, I would also have to agree there.

As for video cards being obsolete... well that REALLY depends on what you do/need of them. If you like playing video games (i.e. have no life), then you may not be satisfied with a GPU of a decade ago. On the other hand, if you are more interested in productivity, engineering, or servers -- you know, much more PRODUCTIVE uses for computation, then the power of the GPU becomes FAR FAR less relevant.

MUCH more important than balls-to-the-wall performance out of a proprietary blob driver is OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT. This is something that nvidia TOTALLY LACKS. AMD, unless you are looking at the newest and fastest GPUs they produce, has virtually perfect out of the box support and the SAME kind of support for the newest and fastest as nvidia via their blob driver.

Now one of the MAJOR problems I have with nvidia is with their blob driver's reliability and compatibility. They do NOT support Linux in the way that is most compatible with the system. Even POULSBO is better since they have at least implemented things like KMS. Nvidia? Just keep doin' it the OLD way..... and occasionally break totally so that your users can't do normal things like switching VTs.

So no thanks. I'm finished suffering with nvidia.

Yeah, I'm aware of the poulsbo disaster, and some of the remaining issues with the latest ATi hardware using the blob.

But I still cannot agree with the statement that only Nvidia hardware works and other hardware does not work.

When it comes to latest hardware and a binary blob, virtually all hardware works.

I'll pick on the "buy a new card already" from the first page. Also what droidhacker said.

Last time I bought a mobo it did everything I wanted, and was 20e cheaper than one with an IGP. So I put in a working card from the closet (Rage II+dvd IIRC). Now Why The Fsck should I have bought a new card?

^^^ because of the fashion industry.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Are you saying that ATi and Intel hardware does not work?
    Sure the hardware works, but drivers, not so much. I've yet to purchase a *new* ATi videocard that gives me a *working* 3D and video out-of-the box (on Linux). And I've yet to purchase a new Nvidia videocard that didn't give me those things out-of-the box. By *working* I mean something that you can actually use in everyday life, not stuff that is proven to work in some special case.

Quote Originally Posted by pmorph View Post
    Sure the hardware works, but drivers, not so much. I've yet to purchase a *new* ATi videocard that gives me a *working* 3D and video out-of-the box (on Linux). And I've yet to purchase a new Nvidia videocard that didn't give me those things out-of-the box. By *working* I mean something that you can actually use in everyday life, not stuff that is proven to work in some special case.
    Would you care to give some examples there at all?

I haven't used fglrx for I think about a year and even with KDE4 it worked out of the box for a long time with my hd4870x2. It had been working much longer before that but I simply didn't know because that card turned out to be dead (it frequently crashed as in deadlocked, but didn't when I used an hd3300, same core). Now if you are 6months behind the Fedora X.org releases it always worked for me.

PS and the fact that it doesn't work for Wine doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that the Wine hacks are made for nCrap cards (see what I did there? ).

Quote Originally Posted by pmorph View Post
    Nvidia does not work out of the box, it does not work at all until you install the binary driver.

Fglrx offers similar performance on new ATi hardware that the Nvidia driver does on Nvidia hardware. Not as polished maybe, but claiming that 3d does not work at all is very bold.

Which card are you talking about and when was this? What exactly does not work in everyday life?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    nvidia .... i buy amd hardware so i get full spec and full support after the live time of the commercial use.

in other words fuck you nvidia!
    full spec and full support... what driver do you use?